My 8.5 yr old weighs 87 pounds and is nearly 50 inches tall. My mother, despite my telling her otherwise INSISTS she still rides in a booster seat in the back seat.

Obviously, my dd doesn't want to, and I don't feel she needs to since when she sits on the seat, her feet rest flat on the floor. HOWEVER, my mother makes her still sit in the booster even though I have told her not to. She says: "Her car, her rules". Well, I am about to say "my child, my rules, she doesn't go with you if you don't follow them".
My concern also is: Is it even safe for my dd to be in the booster, since she is clearly not needing one?

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 2:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I just read some of your other questions, and it sounds to me like your mom is going to do what SHE wants .... no matter what. I don't think she is going to give up her control and follow your 'rules'. I would still ask someone about what the carseat/booster seat laws are though. Maybe get it in writing and hand her 1 copy, keep 1 copy for your records. I would also see if I could use this issue (and her refusal) to change the amount of time she gets your child.
    Good luck, I hope things work out and she does what is best for your child!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would contact either your pediatrician or the police and find out what the booster seat requirements are in your area- and if your daughter is able to go without then I would say "mom the doctor/police said......".
    My mil used to give me problems about car/booster seats and a few other issues and each time I would research it and come back with a "the doctor/police said..." and that would shut her up and she would start following my direction. The alternative was if she did not change, she did not have my child.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• well most states have a minimum recommendation that children under the age of 12 ride in the back seat. As for as the booster, I am not sure
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 3:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• She is riding in the back seat, and I checked the label on the booster seat. It says that kids can safely ride in the back seat as long as their feet rest flat on the floor.
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 3:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son just turned 9 and is about 54" and 70lbs and still rides in a booster if it's available.  The experts suggest kids be at least 4'9" (57") to safely use a seatbelt.  I know in our truck our son doesn't fit right without the booster.  In my dad's car he had to ride in the passenger seat (only available seat) and he fit just fine there (belt fit right, feet on the floor, knees bent at the edge of the seat, etc).  My 10yo also rides in a booster but she's only like 49" and 47lbs (the size of the average 7yo).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Mazie: I believe it's hurting my dd! She is too big for the seat! It pinches her thighs and the weight limit on it is 50 lbs....my dd is 87 lbs!
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 5:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Wow, most say 80 lbs and 4'9" I think. My son is 11 and is 60 lbs and 4'5" and he still rides in a booster.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My oldest dd wasn't allowed to ride with out one till she was 9. I have a friend who doesn't have her young kids in car seats the right way in her car but if she and the kids ever rode in my car they would be in car seat safely. It's not going to hurt her to be in it. If your mom feels safer who is it hurting??
    Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 5:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010