My mother is 5'9" and weighs about 350 lbs. She told me my kids are fat and told THEM they were fat.

They are 10 yrs old, 100 lbs and 52" and 8.5 yrs old, 87 lbs and 50". They aren't skinny but certainly NOT fat. Irregardless, what would you do if your mother said this to your kids and you?
Since those conversations, my kids have been exercising like crazy to the point that I have had to tell them to stop and that they are NOT fat! I have had a lot of trouble lately with them being afraid they are fat, "does this make me look fat" questions and "what if people don't like me because I'm fat" statements. HELP!

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 3:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• give the bitch a twinkie, obviously her sugars dropped and she lost her damn mind. Your poor babies, give em extra hugs and tell grandma to fuck off!
    SavanaF.

Answer by SavanaF. at 3:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Does your mother want them to have an eating disorder? If it were me, I'd probably take a break from seeing her until she learns how to act like an adult.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would have laugh at her and then asked if she looked in the mirror lately, like she's got room to talk. If your kids want to excercise there's nothing wrong with that as long as they don't go over board. I'ld put them in like a dance school or something that's healthy, social, and educational. It should make them feel better physically as well as boost their self esteem and it's just good fun.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• First off, it isn't her business. If you plot their height and weight on the growth charts regardless whether they are boys or girls they both fall in over 90th percentile. Our pediatrician just told me the AAP considers children over the 85th percentile at risk for becoming obese and to watch diet and exercise closely. My granddaughter is hovering at the 92nd %. She will veg and do nothing but read if I let her. Your 10 yr old is also in the 97th percentile for height. Bone and muscle weigh a lot..there probably isn't a real issue there. The 81/2 yr old is under the 30th % for height and the weight might bear watching. It should never, ever have been said to, or in front of the kids.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Well, at their ages I don't think that they should be exercising more than 30min. to an hour max. a day. Don't let them do more than an hour a day! And they should take a day off at least every third day. Watch them carefully!
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Wow, 2 sizes in 7 weeks. My kids always did the chunk out..then shoot up growth spurts too. My boys were very, very active so I never worried about it. In fact my oldest had to quit cross country in the 8th gradde because he was eating 3500 calories a day and still losing weight. His metabolism went into hyper drive. It settled down a few months later. I'd be keeping them away from your Mom for more than short periods.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• She wouldn't be seeing them for a while and when she asks why, she would be told exactly why.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• What a rude thing for her to say. :( If your pediatrician is not concerned about your kids and they are eating healthy foods and getting plenty of physical activity, then don't worry and tell your mother to keep her big rude mouth shut!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is time to pull away from mom. She is verbally abusive and they should not see her very often. My grandma and mom are that way and my husband says our girls are to have limited contact with them. If she asks you why tell her the truth.
    Anonymous

• My son was a chunky monkey for most of his life. My Mom and my Grandma would feel that it was okay to sit there and tell him how fat he was and make him feel so bad about himself. THEN, they would try to force him to eat food after doing this to him. I actually talked to my son's doctor about his weight because they had me so concerned. There was nothing wrong with him and as he got older and grew taller, he lost weight. I know that it is hard to say things to your Mom when she says rude things, believe me, I know. Good luck!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010