How to break her habit?

How do I break Kaylee's (5 months old) habit of waking up at 1am? She WAS sleeping through the night, and then a few weeks ago she was waking up because of hurting (teething), and now she is waking up every night at 1am. Her doctor had mentioned to me at her 4 month appointment to try not to feed her if she is really not hungry at 1am, because she would just get into the habit of waking up wanting to be fed, even though she really isn't hungry.
Well, last night I decided to test that theory, and when she woke up I did not pick her up out of her crib, I only fed her 2 ounces of formula, and then slipped her pacifier in and she was asleep. Had she actually been hungry, 2 ounces would NOT have been enough, at least 4 would have been needed.
So now that I know this....how do I break her of it?

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 12:55 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will probably find that adding that little extra fruit or veggie will help some. You can also mix her cereal with fruit. If you find that just dinner is not helping, you can do lunch too. She could have a fruit and cereal for lunch and dinner. Good luck-sounds like you are doing the right thing!!
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i wouldnt be able to help my 3 year old still wakes up for drinks at night but hopefully someone can help you
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• When my son was a baby, formula just didn't cut it.He was hungry all the time.So I fed him table food about 5 months old.And then he slept all night.Things like cooked carrots, mashed potatoes, rice cereal, ...It doesn't hurt a baby to feed it early.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:59 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• After they've been asleep for about an hour or almost 2 just kinda nudge'em to get'em to change positions and they'll stay asleep all through the night. I have no clue how or why this works but it does. It even works on my friends 2 1/2 year old.
    xxsthrnswthrtxx

Answer by xxsthrnswthrtxx at 1:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Not mine- if I even breathe near my baby enough for her to roll over she wakes up-she's like me, a defensive sleeper.

At 5 months old your little one should be eating more than just formula. Try making the last meal before bedtime a big bowl of cereal mixed with formula, and a fruit, veggies, or a veggie/meat mix. My Z usually sleeps through the night when she has a nice filling meal an hour before bed. Goodluck!
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 1:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I would wait on meat until your baby is about 8 months old. Especially if she is not eating any solids yet. Rice cereal is a good start, and she could have a couple tablespoons mixed with formula. Make it thin at 1st, and feed it to her with a spoon. If she has never used the spoon it could take up to 2 weeks of consistanly feeding her with the spoon for her to get it. I think it took my Haylee a little over 2 weeks. Just keep trying consistancy is the key. Once she is used to eating you can introduce one fruit/veggie every 3 days. Make sure she is still taking her bottles since solids should not replace her formula at her age.

I also have this problem and when Haylee wakes up I go in her room, give her a pacifier and pat her tummy or back-she is 8 months old now so she is all over the crib. It may take a couple of trys, but she usually goes back to sleep. Good luck!
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I forgot to say that for dinner (Usually between 8 and 9pm) she does get cereal. She gets 6oz of formula mixed with 5 tablespoons of cereal. This is another thing that leads me to believe that she is waking up and eating from habit and not necessity.

But I will try giving her some "solids" with her dinner as well. I have been talking about it with my SO and we had planned on starting to add in solids as a regular part of her diet next month, but I suppose bumping it up a month won't hurt (She does eat solids throughout the day, but more as a treat/teaching her to eat off of a spoon rather than an actual part of her diet.)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:43 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• BABY FOOD
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2008