Do Mormons still believe in polygamy?

My brother converted to mormonism about a year ago and he says that Mormon's don't believe in polygamy any more, yet you still hear about it all the time. I'm just curious do they still believe in it or is my brother right. I'm not bashing because I think if it works for your relationship great. I'm just curious

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 4:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends where you live. For the great majority, Its one wife these days. But there are still those who live out in the country away from the main stream of society and there are women who like the idea of not being the only one to care for the children or the husband! But your brother is right. Sorry...
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 5:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I was totally just curious...lol...Like i said I personally think if it works for your relationship great. But I being that he converted a year ago and I've never actually seen him reading the book of mormon or the bible, i thought I should prolly ask...lol
    BigfordBrat

Comment by BigfordBrat (original poster) at 5:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• FLDS does, mainstream LDS has renounced this particular practice. Out of the practicing Mormons, only a small % actually believe in, or practice polygamy. Unfortunately those that do get the most media attention, hence the misconception that LDS still condones the practice.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There are small pockets of them that do, and they are not recognized by the Mormon church. They get a lot of attention from the media because the story seems so crazy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There is a totally different sect that does. Just like you have different types of Baptists and what not, you have different types of "mormons." The fundamentalist mormons still practice polygamy, the mainstream mormons do NOT.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Mainstream Mormons do NOT, however, smaller sects (which there are countless of) continue to practice this way... Like any other form of religion there are always those who interpret things differently. However, I think because the LDS church was the last mainstream Christian group to openly hang on to the belief, people are still under the misnomer that this is a continued practice...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints do not live the law of polygamy. With God, as in many other things, there is a time and place for everything. Polygamy currently does not have a place in the world today. Those who say they are Mormons, or members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and still practice polygamy, are technically not counted among the membership of the Church.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 5:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2010