Can people fall in love over the internet?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 4:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• I did... with a guy that I knew from high school. We'd both changed a lot since then and now we are happily living together and no where close to getting married... we've both been down that road before and are quite cautious but love eachother none the less.
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Yes. But because you are going by your emotions, they can decieve you as well as the other person. I've known people that thought they were in love because words are very powerful. Especially words we want to hear. However, you may meet that person, and within a few days know you made a huge mistake! One girl was engaged over the internet. He flew down from Boston to meet her family & her in Arizona. He got off the plane, when to lunch with her,told her he made a big mistake. Turned right around went back home. Another woman met a man. Married him. Bore him a son. He took the son once it was weaned & left the country to his homeland in Iran. Another met, married, doing ok. Be very careful. Don't give them your money, bank account, or friends info. A red flag is they will tell you they need money. Also watch out for those in prison. They get you hooked for thousands & lie to get you to be their meal ticket.Check background
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 5:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Good advice PP! My sister met her DH on the internet and married him. They have 2 kids. He became verbally abusive with her when she was pregnant with the 1st one and then cut out each and every one of her friends. Last year he cut out her family entirely by moving her a thousand miles away to "be near his favorite football team - to take his sons to ball games". Bull honkey! He hasn't taken them to one single game yet. I am no longer allowed to have contact with my sister. He is "afraid I will hurt his children"!!! All this because I told her that he was acting like a violent man and that she should get away from him. My worry is that he could take his sons to England and never let her see them....she won't listen to me. Refuses to believe he's violent....ok, so threatening to "break her neck and knee caps" when she was pregnant because she insisted on going to our uncles funeral is ok??? Give me a break!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think so. I've fallen in love once or twice with a guy I was chatting with long term. We used to call each other all the time after we'd been chatting for a few months. We never met though. You just have to be careful. There's some good advice here already.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I believe people can fall into lust. Falling in love with someone that you type over the internet with is just not the same you don't have there touch and looking into there eye and the feeling of "oh may goodness i could spend my life with him/her" you know what Im saying?!
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think it is possible but also can be dangerous. People can and will use your emotions to gain your trust and there is a good chance they will not be sincere. I know a woman that met and fell in love with a man she met on the net and according to her she is very happy. They have been married for a while now. This could just be a rarity. Most people I know that have tried internet dating and fell for someone over the net regret their decision that they even encountered the other person.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• yes that can happen who doesnt want to fall inlove with somebody it can be a great & a bad thing cause you dont know who that person is or what he is like but then it can be a great chance to meet your other half & a great experience to see if he is everything he said he is
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Yes, they can. I met my beloved husband that way. We conected straight away.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010