How to take baby's temperature?

I'm a first time mom. My LO seems a bit off. I wanted to take her temp, but the thermometer's instruction manual wasn't of great help. What is considered normal (in degree celcuis) and I've heard that you add or subtract when you take it under the arm, in the bum etc. ?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 5:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A fever is...
    Rectal temp- 100.4F (38 C)
    Under arm- 99 F (37.2 C)

for a baby 3 months and under they should be seen by a doctor if they have a fever...

To take an underarm temp... place the thermometer tip under the arm in the fold of the arm pit... you can add a degree, but it's best to just know what is a normal range... anything from about 97-98.9 would be normal (36-37.1) if you talk to a doctor they will want to know the ACTUAL temp and how you took it... not a corrected temp.
    For a rectal temp (more accurate) it should be around 98-100 (36.7-37.7) To take a rectal temp, lube the end of the thermometer with vaseline or KY... gently insert the thermometer about an inch.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• For babies you are supposed to take it rectally. Anything 100.4 and higher for babies under 6 months means fever and should call the doc right away. Under the arm just isnt accurate enough. My baby is 5 months, they showed us how to take rectal temps before we left the hospital.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 6:40 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• 100.4 degree celcius?
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 6:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit means you should call the doctor. Take her temperature rectally usings a little bit of vaseline.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• And over 6 months?
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• They say 103 but I would call the doc before it got that high. Just my opinion.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 10:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2010