Is it possible to spoil a 6month old?

My DD likes to be in my arms. She screams to be picked up and if I don't, she'll cry so hard that it sounds like she's hyperventilating. She also gets very intense if we don't do things at the speed she wants it to be done eg. giving her bottle, toy, bath.. basically anything that she wants right NOW. Been that way since birth. The older ladies in my family says I've spoilt her already. Is it possible at such a young age? Does she just have a high intensity personality? Will she grow out of it? If not, how do I correct it. I don't want her to grow up being hated for something I unknowingly did wrong.

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 6:12 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely impossible to spoil an infant. Period.

She cries because it is her only way of communicating to you what she needs. At this stage in life she isn't demanding anything of you, she needs constant care and assurance. It has been proven over, and over again that investing time in your child in early infancy and toddler years results in a mentally stable, healthy individual later in life. Unfortunately people get stuck on the convenience factor of leaving a child unattended, or being able to put them in a device (swing, carrier, seat) for long periods- hence the "spoiling".

You should consider a wrap/sling so that she can be with you without hindering your ability to accomplish daily tasks. That's what I always did so that we would both be happy, and I would be able to do the things I needed to.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is NOT possible to spoil a baby.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 6:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• And yes, she will grow out of it. Enjoy it while you can. Before you know it, she will be pushing you away.
    dragonlady320

• I don't believe you can spoil a baby. With all of mine, I held and comforted them as often as they needed.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• As you said, she has been like that since birth so it's nothing that you have done. It's impossible to spoil an infant.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I worry about this with my 6 week old... If he's not being held or fed, he's crying. And it's frustrating when people tell you that you have a fussy baby... Or friends with babies brag about how their child can sit in their bouncy chair content as can be until the next feeding. Some even say to just let him cry for a bit - maybe he'll learn to soothe himself. But I can't bear to hear him wailing when I know that just picking him up will stop the crying. And my friends with "happy" babies just make me feel like I'm doing something wrong...

My advice - if you can stop the crying by answering your baby's needs, then do it. Training baby to self-soothe is too heart-breaking!
    sawyersmom2010

Answer by sawyersmom2010 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• a child is only spoiled when the parents can not stand them. Other people do not count because every child is spoiled according to some one in the family

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2010