Do you think any sort of spanking is bad or is a pop on the bum ok?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 6:12 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• perfectly ok. I know some people will say that causes the child to fear you, but I would rather be feared by a safe child, then the best friend to a child that runs out in the street and gets hit because the time before she did it and I didn't pop her. (just an example)
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 6:15 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think it's okay and it works. There's a difference between spanking and beating. As long as all you're doing is spanking, it's fine. I was spanked as a child and it leaves no lasting hurts. I knew what to do and what not to do.

Time-out works too for some kids. It works wonders on mine. Just the fact that all they can do is stand there bugs the hell out of them and they stop whatever they were doing.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 6:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Spare the rod and spoil the child. That "fear" prevented me from getting into serious trouble. I'm grateful for my parents. I love them to death. I wouldn't have been able to handle being punished for a week long (no tv, no.. whatever) Punishment was quick, I got the message, they explained to me which behaviour led to it and the loved me like nothing happened.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 6:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• No child has ever died from getting a well deserved "pop on the bum". I disciplined my 3 girls & today at ages nearly 14, 10 and 8.5 they all agree that I am a good mom & don't fear me nor are they physically violent with anyone. It's all in the delivery. If you are angry & strike your child - that is NOT discipline. But if you are calm & say "Honey, I love you and because I love you, I cannot let you behave this way & not have a consequence. I will have to discipline you so you realize you cannot do this". I would then discipline with a glue stick & ask them why they received discipline. I would ask if they were ready to obey now. If yes, big hugs & it's all over - no being mad just joy that my child chose to obey! If not, well, then they would have to have discipline again.

cont'd
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• cont'd

My middle dd, had many a discipline with the glue stick! She wanted to be helpful one day in the store and said "mom, we should give that mom a glue stick for her naughty boy is NOT obeying! It was cute - she got the message loud and clear - even at 3 yrs old!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• perfectly ok.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Rarely have I had to spank but I think it is ok.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I got many a spanking as a child, and I grew up just fine. There is a HUGE difference in a spanking, and abuse.
    blueeyedbabyz

Answer by blueeyedbabyz at 9:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• we spank! And we have great kids who rarely need to be spanked, b/c of it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010