With the Weather getting towards freezing/frost do you cover your plants at night or do you just let them go and let the frost take them?

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I mostly have plants that are hardy to this area. The annuals just die off when we get our first hard frost. I do have lavender plants in huge containers and in the winter if it's going to get down to around 20 degrees I cover them with hay.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We don't normally get frost in my area until dec. So my roses are good until then. I normally let the weeds grow up around them (A big mess in come spring) but as the weeds die off from the cold, it gives the roses an extra boost, & helps keep them covered, around feb when we get our first snow, I'll lay some hay for something down to keep them safe...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I never have covered my plants, I figure that when the frost gets them they are done for the season.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My annuals were planted to be just that - annuals - and I don't worry about the frost and cold weather taking them. The perennials - they are all zoned for my area - are meant to be killed back.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I bring the houseplants inside, dig up the tropicals to store, and let the frost take the rest. Most of my flowers are perennials so will come back. Covering doesn't work too well most of the time, although in the case of a brief and early cold snap you might save some things that way if it warms up in a day or so.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• This won't happen here for another couple of months (Southern CA near Death Valley... it's hot here!), but when it does, we don't cover our plants.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 8:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Depends on the year. Sometimes we get an early one and I still have veggies on the plants, then I cover them. If it is late in the season I just let them go, them pull them up.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010