IUD and pregnancy

Is it possible to get pregnant while on an IUD? I have had one for 4 years now and for some reason I am not feeling like myself at all. I am 4 days past my period which is always regular and I havn't gotten my normal signs that i am getting close to my period (sore breast, cramps, etc.) Should I take a test to be on the safe side? Or should I wait a few more days?

mommyjones

Asked by mommyjones at 7:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is extrememly rare to get pregnant while on the IUD, everything is possible but I do believe that the IUD is one that offers the most protection to prevent pregnancy. Usually people really don't get a regualar period while having the IUD. I had the Marina for 5 years and only had some spotting, I didn't get the actual period. If you are worried you can take a test or call your doc.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 8:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I am bumping, because I am trying to figure the same thing out!
    blueeyedbabyz

Answer by blueeyedbabyz at 9:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It's not very common, but it is possible and I know someone it happened to and 1 person whose IUD fell out and they didn't notice and another whose IUD fell out and they did notice. IUDs are not 100% reliable, though they are very very close.

Take a test-- you are late enough and the $1 ones work fine- and if it turns out negative, consider maybe there is too much stress in your life, a new thyroid issue you should have looked at... lots of things can affect a period. If you don't feel better, see a doctor and let them help you think through the possibilities.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• IUDs are more effective than a tubal ligation. They have an extremely high success rate. That said, people do get pregnant with them. You can take a test if you're worried. I have had my scares, and I've had mine in for 2 years. It happens. And sometimes, we have weird symptoms just because.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2010