Why did Jesus need to get baptized?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 7:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Someone told me last night that when Jesus was baptized, is when the he became "divine" or something like that. In hinduism, they teach that John the Baptist was actually Jesus's guru, not vice versa. Christians say he was babtizes to fullfill all righteousness. John the baptist was already very "realized" even before he met Jesus. He was a spiritual icon in those times. I believe that when Jesus was babtized, that he was spiritually perfected.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You do know that Jesus and John the Baptist were cousins right?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 7:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• YES, i do know that. I also believe that John the Baptist is the reincarnation of Elijah & Jesus is the reincarnatio if Elisha. Elisha was Elijah's discpile. John & Jesus have a soul connection that is beyond this Physical world.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Because people were walking around thinking John was the messiah and that made Jesus jealous and what better way to prove that it's you who is the messiah than to have a dove come down and pronounce you are the 'one'? eye rolling

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• No Jesus is the Messiah and NOT the reincarnation of Elisha or Elijah.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• John baptised as a physical sign of repentence of sins. Since Jesus was supposedly without sin, he had nothing to repent of. So his baptism has NO significance. And, if John knew that his cousin, Jesus, was the son of God, why didn't he become one of the disciples? The fact is that Jesus did NOT consider himself to be without sin (Mark 10:18, Luke 18:19), which is why he went to be baptised before the beginning of his ministry. My take of course, he didn't get baptised because he never was.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• And now, I would ask of you, my beloved brethren, wherein the Lamb of God did fulfill all righteousness in being baptized by water?
    Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments.

Baptism is a necessary ordinance, or prerequisite, to being able to return to the presence of God. Christ was perfect, and therefore, did not need baptism to "clean" him of his sins. But baptism is also a covenant - a promise we make to God - to strive to live as Christ did. In order for Christ to be our perfect example, he needed to "enter by the gate" as well, fulfilling that ordinance and making that covenant with God.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 5:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It was to fulfill the legal requirements for entering the priesthood which was to be washed with water (baptism) and anointed with oil (dove decending upon him).
    solamama

Answer by solamama at 9:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• "When the Savior washed, all water for our baptism is made clean, purified at its source for the dispensing of baptismal grace to the people of future ages. Christ is the first to be baptized, then so that Christians will follow after him with confidence."
    -Maximus the Confessor
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Jesus' baptism symbolized the presentation of himself to do the will of His Father, as was highlighted in Psalm 40:7,8 and quoted by the Apostle Paul "In view of that, I said: “Here I have come, In the roll of the book it being written about me.To do your will, O my God, I have delighted, And your law is within my inward parts." It was at Jesus' baptism that he became the Christ, or Messiah, anointed by means of God's Holy Spirit. This marked the start of his preaching work.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 10:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010