Why do people think military people have to shower together?

I never did. A lot of people don't. There is no such requirement. You can if you really don't mind doing that but its a choice.

Are people really that ignorant about how the military is and still act like they know everything about it?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe it is a hold over from the earlier part of the 20th century, people still remember how it used to be, not how it is now./

BTW, I have sever friends and fam who are deployed overseas, and the simple fact is that they are permitted to bathe/groom independent from the rest of the soldiers/sailors regardless of whether or not they are on active duty deployed, or are on US soil. HUGE misconception, and one of the ridiculous tools that fear mongering bigots are using against gays.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When my ex was in (20 years ago!), during basic training the only option was showering together. Maybe it's a hold-over, remembering how things "used to be?"
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The only times we showered together was in boot camp and A-school because the BEQ only had open bay showers. Even then, it's not like we were all looking at each other. There would usually be about 15 of us in one shower. We also didn't have doors on our stalls and that was harder to get used to than showering with other women.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• well i thought they still did i know they did when my grandpa was in but it was wartime if they could grab shower even though it was cold, they would have so many shower more as a safeguard while others guarded the area. my grandfather told me this but i did not know that it ever changed. I was never told it did. so i always assumed it was the same. it is good it is not though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• they shower together when they're deployed because they don't have personal bathrooms in their rooms, they have community bathrooms. obviously in the barracks at their regular base/post it's not a requirement as they do have personal bathrooms and can go one at a time.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• In Basic it was two people to a shower stall in order to save time. In AIT it was a huge open shower where everyone stood around neeked and soapy- so yes... in my personal experience, we DID shower together. After AIT, I was stationed at FT. Meyer Va and the Pentagon and there were no open showers any longer.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Zoeyis... I wish I could have done that! In Basic, our Platoon got up at 3am just to make sure we got everything done because not only did we have to get ourselves ready, we had other duties plus PT after that. Our showers weret aken at night before bed. In AIT, I had to be at 'school' at like 7 am and we marched 5 miles to get there, so we left an hour before that. We couldn't even take a shower in the middle of the night because we had 'bed check' and had to be in bed from the hours of 10 pm to 5 am. We had no choice but to shower with other people which was uncomfortable at first, but then you got used to it and it wasn't that bad.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Every unit is different and only the lower enlisted unmarried people live in barracks. NCOs, Officers and married soldiers have their own quarters (homes) they live in just like civilians do :-)

Every barracks is different too. Depends on the lay out of the place, how old/new it is, etc. Even those guys get to choose when to take their showers like ya said, even in a community shower. On deployment your also allowed to shower when you want since everyone's on different schedules, but again thats really up to each individual unit and how they are running things for themselves.

I know, my hubby was in the army for 3 years :) but I saw his barracks room before we were married and there room had one bathroom with 2 soldiers in the room. Obviously they can shower when they want. And I know it's the same way overseas, but what I meant was it's a community shower so chances are when someone is showering others will be
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• showering too, but they don't HAVE to shower together, just more than one person will probably be using it in deployment situations.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Basic and AIT are alot different. Once your on active duty (post training) its like any other job for the most part (at least as far as personal hygeine goes) ;-)
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2010