Why did Jesus feel forsaken on the cross?

On the day of Jesus's crucifixion, the sky grew dark from around noon until 3:00 p.m. During this time, Christ cried out, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachtani", which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 7:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• From what I was taught, Jesus thought that God had left him to suffer alone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• well if someone shoved nails thru my hands and no one was willing to help me out, then I'd feel screwed over too
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:49 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• ZOEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 7:49 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Interesting that he cried out My G-d when he supposedly was god.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• SophiaofLight... indeed. Very interesting point.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I'm not a theologian, but my understanding of it / belief is that He cried that out just as He was dying and descending into Hell. Hell is the absence of God, complete removal from the presence of the Lord (the Father). He needed to have that severing of the connection between Him and the Father for it to "count" as far as paying for our sins (since the cost of the sins is separation from God when we die, unless we have repented them). However, because He is also part of God (the Son), He was able to overcome this descent into Hell, and be "reconnected" so to speak with God (the Father). Yes, it's all one God - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, but that gets into Trinity issues, which wasn't the question :-)

I know I probably butchered this explanation, and I'm sorry about that, but it's kind of hard to explain on a cafemom post :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• How could Jesus be G-d when He never claimed he was? Only humans made Him out to be. And tyfry, yes, that is why.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• another reason I cannot and will never understand the whole trinity thing...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It was at that very moment He bore all past and future sins of the world.... sin puts a great divide between you and God. It was in His human state that He felt what we feel when we fall into sin... we feel totally separated from God... what He felt was horrific. what He endured was pure agony and total separation for what all mankind feels when they remain in their sin... it is what those who end up in Hell will feel like... total separation, pure pain and agony.... for eternity.
    Sin cannot dwell where Light shines... it will be exposed and at this very moment it was exposed and it was a painful ordeal for Him... the cross did not kill Him.. all of Sin did because right after that He took His last breath.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• He cried out to god because he did not consider himself to be god. After all, how could god cry out to himself? Have to agree with Zoey. If I considered myself a prophet of god and I were going thru a crucifixion, I'd wonder where the hell he was, too! Up until the Council of Nicea and the collecting of the current books of the bible, Jesus was considered to be a man. Only after it did he become divine. It was Jesus' followers who decided to make him divine. Not Jesus himself.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010