Any ideas to get cat odor out of my couch?

A few months ago one of my cats got a UTI and peed on blankets on my couch. It went through and got into the couch. I cleaned it with warm water and fabreeze at first. It took the smell away at first, but any time we open the windows and moist air gets in, you can smell it all over again. I have tried Natures Miracle for cats, Fabreeze, and a few other "for cat odor" furniture sprays. They all seem to take away the smell for a little while, but it comes back and the cats are not continuing to pee. Any other methods you have tried that works?

mandapanda942

Asked by mandapanda942 at 8:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pets

• The problem is that the smell is in the foam, and that is hard to get rid of. Can you take the foam out of your cushions and replace it? I had this happen when my daughter peed the couch. We tried everything, even trying to wash foam..doesn't dry for weeks. lol We eventually just got rid of it.
    About your cat and the UTI, I am dealing with this with my 17.5 yr. old cat. Did you know that cats need canned food everyday?? I didn't and this is what causes UTI and kidney failure. A cat doesn't have a thirst need, and won't drink enough water. So make sure you mix or give a good spoonful a couple times a day. Sorry this is off your question topic..
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 8:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have heard vinegar works well, I haven't tried it on furnture, but on my floors. Maybe you could pour a little straight vinegar on it. It will hold the vinegar smell for a while, but that still is better than pee smell. Vinegar is supposed to get rid of pee smells.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 8:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I didnt know that. Most vets always told me canned food caused UTIs. I never saw it that way and feed them each a can of it on a regular basis, but not every day because my male cat will refuse to eat the dry food if I give it to them too much.
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Here is one website that talks about can food. There was another real good one, but I can't seem to find it yet. http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library&act=show&item=whycatsneedcannedfood
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would either try to steam clean it, or just try and replace the cushions, or the whole couch. That would drive me crazy!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is driving me crazy! Especailly now that I have a 1 month old that I put on the couch with me. The couch was free, so Im not terribly upset about it and it is past time to replace it... just dont have the money to do so :(
    mandapanda942

Comment by mandapanda942 (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I've had good success with baking soda and vinegar cleaning up urine. It wasn't cat urine, and it might discolor your couch (it's never discolored anything for me), but it's worth a try. I'd try it on a hidden spot first to make sure it won't damage the color.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 8:41 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Ugh, it is the worst smell ever! We had a cat that did this on our carpet at our old house and unfortunately there is nothing that can take that smell away permanently. We tried EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING from homemade to expensive sprays made specifically for cat urine and nothing worked except replacing the carpet and padding. The problem is the crystals in the cat's urine, there is nothing that can clean it all up or soak up the odor, no matter how much you spend. The smell does go away as soon as the crystals are completely dry, but as you found out, as soon as there is any moisture in the air, the smell comes right back. Unfortunately the only thing you will be able to do is either get rid of the couch or make sure there is no moisture in the air. Sorry, cat pee really sucks:(
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It's very hard to get the cat smell out of cushions, because it's thick and absorbs. You can try getting Nature's Miracle from like petsmart and using a rug doctor to see if you can get it all out. If it was me though, I'd probably ditch the couch.

As for the canned food thing.. none of my cats eat canned food ever. They are on a raw prey diet. And as for the thirst thing.. um.. that's not true either.. cats will drink water when thirsty if it's reachable and clean. There are many reasons cats (and dogs) can get a UTI.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 10:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Re: heatherrenee..I didn't say they would'nt drink water, just not enough of it. Their thirst mechinism is not as strong. A dog will drink a half a bowl at a time, where a cat won't.. If your cat is on a raw prey diet, they don't need canned food, as that has enough water in prey. Yes there are many reasons an animal can get an UTI, I just made a comment about something I recently learned about. Cats are made to eat prey and constant dry food isnt' providing them enough moisture.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2010