Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

if i caught someone on camera coming into my house and walking out with something, can the cops do something about that?

im eventually going to live close to my SIL and all these years im sick and tired of her coming to my house and stealing things...i could never prove it since someone else told me she did like weeks later.

i have to eventually move closer to her (not a choice, but i dont want to get into that story) what if i caught her on video camera while i had my doors unlocked?

what would the cops do?


Asked by americansugar80 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 22 (12,423 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • I believe they can use that as evidence, although I'm not sure about the whole unlocked doors thing. You might want to check with someone that knows about all the legal stuff about that one.

    Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • Yes you can call them, they will use the camera video as evidence.

    Answer by homeschoolin432 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • It depends on your area. If you leave your doors unlocked, and have a video camera going, it could be construed as entrapment. It also depends on what she's stealing - food, clothes, a tv? Can't you just leave your doors locked? It sounds like she has serious issues.

    Answer by Scuba at 8:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • she would most likely steal my children's clothes and shoes.

    Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • Why would you leave your doors unlocked in the first place? Lock your doors and widows then she won't be able to get in and stral anything.

    That might work but you need to check your state laws on videotaping people. In some cases not having their permission to show their face (maybe not to the police, but to other people) could be considered illegal.

    Ever thought about confronting her about it? Tell her you know she is stealing from you and she needs to stop before you call the police.

    Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • things she liked to steal i would mark ( and make note of it), video is proof. though i wouldnt call the cops (with it being your hubby's family) i would simply sit you hubby and sil down.. let them watch the video and warn her that you know she is stealing stuff and you want what is your and you have these hidden all around the house that if she does it again you WILL call the cops. that way it cuts out stress on you and your hubby!

    Answer by Ross2010 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • "Why would you leave your doors unlocked in the first place?"

    cause she's been doing it for years to me and she has to stop somehow. she used to stay the night at my house and stuff all the stuff she stole in her overnight bag. i would just like to scare her so she'll stop doing it. and no..hubby doesnt do a whole lot of good, she cant comprehend it when he tells her that he wants our child's shoes back when she put them in her mother's room one time...she just back mouths.

    Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 8:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • id of thought so, its evidence isnt it?

    Answer by san78 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • Yes that's called braken and entering. Yep ,I would call the cops a SNAP!!

    Answer by TwannaB. at 11:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2010