Does anyone worry about this?

I have a 2 1/2 year old and My hubby and I are expecting our first child together. Alot of the times I worry that I wont love this baby like I do my daughter. I feel like I overdo it with her sometimes to just prove I wont treat her any differently? I know I love our son (who will soon be here) but I worry that I will either
1) Over protect my daughter and over shadow her to make sure that I am not making her feel left out
2) Make it a point to show her how much I love her so she KNOWS for sure that I dont love him more?

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 8:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Love has an amazing capability to expand and grow with each child you have. It does not mean you love one "more" or "less"-- you love them all with all your heart because they are each special, individual and unique and the love for each child is customized just for them. I would encourage you to involve your daughter in helping with the new baby and let her know how important and special she is. Make it a point to have some 'mommy/daughter' time with her when baby is sleeping.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Once tha baby gets here you will probably see how eveything works out and you can put this worry to rest. It's great that you realize people can overdo in certain areas. You will love them each in different ways. They both need to be your favorite and they will be......for different things. Just remember that the oldest might feel replaced for awhile and you can show her tons of love and maybe give her little jobs to do to help with the baby. Best wishes!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• don't overthink it. i think every mom has felt that way. just know that you will love them both DIFFERENTLY, not in quantity or quality. there will be different things you love about each one.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When this child is born, you will realize that your fear is just like every other mother's out there, that has more than one child. We always feel this way when another child is born, but truth is..you're gonna love them both! It's amazing how it works out!
    blueeyedbabyz

Answer by blueeyedbabyz at 9:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You need to stop it. Right now. You would be pissed if he treated her different, and yet that's exactly what you are doing. Have her help with the new baby, get her involved. She is your baby just as much as this new one is. Let her help you as much as she can with the baby, she will love it. And I think it will help alleviate some of what you are feeling. They will bond, and you will relax.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Never worried about such a thing, I knew in my heart that once the baby got there I had more love to go around.

Answer by older at 8:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Keep her involved with the new baby. Let her help you out with the new baby like changing diapers or feeding. Toddlers love to play with babies; have her play with her new sibling while you're taking care of stuff around the house.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2010