SAHM, what did you do?

When your child went to school full time? Mine will go next year and I don't know what I am gong to do with myself. I have to be home to take care of her, so I can't go out and get a job bc it would have to work around my schedule. BUT I would like to work to make extra money... What did you do?

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 8:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm still trying to figure that out too. Its hard to find part time work that's willing to hire someone around a school schedule that may have to leave without any notice. They don't wanna deal with it when they can hire anyone else without those restrictions. Plus there's that unspoken age bias out there.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When I was a SAHM I had a sewing business out of my home. I did alterations and drapes, etc. Is there a skill like that you can capitalize on? Right now I do child care for a teacher. So, that might be a possibility for you. Then the teacher's schedule would match your daughter's. When the time comes you could check out www.care.com or www.sittercity.com. Teacher's looking for childcare start posting their needs as early as April. Good luck no matter what you do!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When my son started kindergarten, I became a substitute teacher. LOL Then, when he was in 2nd grade, i workede at a daycare and he came there after school.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son just started kindergarten this year. Right now, I am taking a few classes and subbing part-time with his school district (I have even subbed at his school a few times!) I also just started my own business. The possibilities are endless!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• you could take on odd jobs that dont require you to have a paycheck like babysitting in your own home, cleaning pple's houses by the hour, walking dogs, or sitting for animals. just off the top of my head...but you shouldnt advertise with signs in your yard or anything, do it on craiglist or your local paper.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I got myself a part time job at the school where they were at, and then as they got older, I also got myself a part time taking newborn baby pictures at hospitals, I did very early in the morning and was always home before noon.

Answer by older at 8:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Bump ya!

Answer by older at 8:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I'm a SAHM with two teenagers in school. I do a lot of volunteer work - in the school, at church, with other military spouses, etc. In fact, my dh jokes that I'm not really a SAHM, but more a professional volunteer, but we're both happy with it this way, because for one thing, I'm busy and making a contribution to our community (and with a lot of the stuff I do, it is things that would be good on a resume), and for another, it allows me to have a flexible schedule as far as being available for field trips, to go do something with my dh if he's able to get time off work, etc.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Home child care..get a job at his school..I will do or the other when my son starts.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I will be going to work. I dont work currently but will be to help with tuition of 8 kids all in private school.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2010