Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to get awarded child support for 18yr old in nj

dad ran away 18 yrs ago and never married me. I just found him in fla. recently. I want him to pay for running and hiding from my daugther and me all these years

Answer Question

Asked by frusso at 7:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Well I know if there was a support order in place no matter how old it is now that your daughter is 18 she has to take him to court and the money goes to her. I'm not sure what to do if you never had a support order in place.

    Answer by sjdchbkr at 9:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

  • the only way you can get child support for an 18yr. old which actually will go to her, is if she's still in school. other then that i don't know you'll have to talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by workenmom at 12:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • Sorry ladies child support IS NOT technically for the child, But for the SUPPORT of said child. If no order was in place b4 age of 17 1/2 no support can be awarded. If there was/is a support order money STILL goes to custodial parent not the child. It was for the time period when the cp provided support without help of the non-cp it's like .. payback for what you paid for and they should've contributed to.

    Answer by MissyJo68 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

  • She may be old enogh not to have support if she works,check with the state.

    Answer by lawla at 10:49 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.