For those with Autistic children, how do you feel about ABA therapy and the cost?

I am writing a paper for psychology, and have learned that this therapy is not finanically obtainable for most families. How do you feel about the therapy, the cost, and insurance not covering it?

momof5kiki

Asked by momof5kiki at 8:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Health

• My youngest step son is high on the autism spectrum. He was diagnosed at 2, and spent the first several years in different types of AB therapies. In our area, the head start program has an offshoot for special needs children, so it was never really an issue of cost. I will say that, according to my DH, most of the therapy he received didn't do anything for him. He is currently in both physical and occupational therapy, which insurance does cover, and seems to do better with it. I think that insurance doesn't cover AB because there are so many variables; the child, the clinician - results are also hard to determine. Just my .02.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My brother went through an early version of this back in 85-87. The cost was tremendous, nearly broke us since at that time Autism was not fully understood or covered by insurance. Thing is it doesn't work for all types and so the costs vs the lack of results can be very disheartening.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 9:41 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my daughter wasnt dx with aspergers until she was 5 1/2 so she had already aged out for the ABA....they cut off at age 3.
    But in general all the therapys are expensive for these kids.....some insurance carriers will cover some of the treatments, but usually not enough to matter....I 've bought books and tried to educate myself on my daughters need for social skills, and OT...right now she still gets speech at her school....its expensive, sometimes hard to get and Obama care isnt going to make it any more affordable...in fact I expect our health insurance to go up,up,up.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2010