painting rooms

We just bought a house and am painting my daughters bedroom. How long should I wait until I can put her in it? I looked online and its torn bewteen a few day and a few weeks

MelSwim7

Asked by MelSwim7 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would give it 2 days. The paint will be dry and the smell much lower. Be careful when placing furniture in the room you will want to wait at least a week for the paint to truly "set" My BIL used to have a paining business and I used to help him and that is what we told clients. If you put furniture near or against the walls too soon it could mar the paint.
    When I paint at home I usually run a fan in there to help the paint dry ( to the touch) quicker, you can also buy low VOC paint which has less odor than regular paint.
    try to keep romm warm and dry that will help the paint dry and cure faster
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think it really depends on several things - what kind of paint you used, how big the room is, how quickly the paint dries (which can be affected by humidity and temp.), how well ventilated the room is, and how old your dd is / if she has any respiratory problems.

I would decide on the paint that you want, and then look up the manufacturers webpage and see if they offer suggestions for it on their site.

Otherwise, I think I would just wait until the paint is dry and you don't smell it anymore - then add 24 hrs to that to be safe.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We just painted our living room and dining room with Valspar paint from Lowes. The smell was gone same day and the two rooms together are pretty big. I would think one night out would be fine, provided your paint does the same. But our younger daughter has bad allergies, so she spent three nights out just to be on the safe side when we painted her room. I would open all of her windows to let the air in as much as possible while you paint and while it dries. If it's raining out it will make your paint take longer, but it will help a lot with the fumes.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It depends on what type of paint your using. Most paint can dry in 4 to 8 hours. Thats why I like using latex paint it drys faster then other paints and lower in odor. Latex paint drys in 1 hr for one coat and drys in 4hrs for two coats. The temperature and humidiy is the biggest impact on dying time. It takes paint longer to dry if the temperature is 50 or below. If the temperature is 70 or above the paint drys faster. I think waiting for 24 hours after painting would be the best choice. If your still concern go to www.ask.com you can ask any question you want and you'll be giving the answer your looking for. Good Luck
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 9:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• After the smell goes away, and the paint is all dry, I would wait another day, maybe two, and then wouldn't worry about putting her in there at all.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• if you use the no odor/ low voc paints you don't have to wait at all (well just wait until the paint is dry lol). they cost about the same as regular paint and they're alot better for your body and the environment. i like the olympic one from lowe's.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Lowes has a great No VOC paint by Olympic... there are no fumes or odor and it costs less than the Valspar.
    We used that brand through our whole house and were really pleased with the results.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2010