Guinea Pig, Hamster or Gerbil? Anyone have one of these pets?

I am thinking of getting my son either a either a Hamster, Gerbil or Guinea Pig and was wondering if anyone elses child has one of these pets and how it is working out? Which is the better choice for an 8 yr old. Also what do they cost? Any info. is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pets

• Con't. In my area, guinea pigs retail for about twenty five dollars. You can buy a large pet store cage (which could run you a hundred dollars or more depending on size) or you could make your own out of coroplast... the cavyspirit.com site that someone else suggested has links to how to make a C & C cage. I find that with the pigs my main expenditure is the bedding... we clean the cage weekly (spot cleaning more often than that) and I use CareFresh paper bedding because I'm allergic to wood based shavings. We've also run into vet bills occasionally, just like any pet. I think they're worth it though... they're very sweet little critters!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I had a Guinea pig and hampster when I was a kid. Guinea pigs can be mean and they stink, lol. Hampsters are cute, but they are nocturnal (sp). They cost a little bit to get started at first, cage, bedding,etc... but pretty simple after. Hampsters need their bedding changed every couple days and cage complet. cleaned once a week.

I reccomend going to a pet store and speaking with someone there, they could give you good info.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Also, with hampsters be careful not to put anything close to the cage.( If you have a metal bar one.) They will pull anything into it. Im sure all of them would do this, but I only now hamps. for sure. I remember my sister putting paper and clothes right next to cage and pulled them in, ate them, and died :(
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• A guinea pig is okay for an 8 year old. I bought my daughter our first one when she was 7. He cost around $30.00. The cage was around $50 but you can get on on craigslist for cheaper. They require lots of fresh vegetables, timothy hay, pellets, bedding. Guinea pigs are social animals and it's preferable to give them a companion. I like our pigs. I wish we did not have so many though.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• we have a hampster, I think he was around $15
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We were at the pet store the other day and the prices for gerbils and hamsters were about the same, but guinea pigs were a lot higher. We had a hamster for a short time but he developed a tumor and died. Not really a good experience there, but taking care of him wasn't hard. I don't know if that's a common problem with them, but I've known lots of people who had them with no problems so I don't think so.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I had hamsters & gerbils as a kid. Liked them, but they were loud at night - nocturnal!!
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I had a guinea pig when I was little, and found out I was allergic. We have had gerbils a few times, and they always bit the kids, not friendly at all. They also breed like crazy - poor DH bought his son a pregnant one (on accident) when we were dating. He ended up with 25. (They breed earlier than other small mammals, he didn't think he had to separate them until they were 6 months old. Surprise!)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We had Hamsters in our apartments...not too bad. My sister's youngest has had hamsters and gerbils and prefers the gerbils because they aren't necessarily nocturnal.

http://www.thegerbils.com/

Hamsters and Gerbils usually average $10 each and Guinea's average $30.  Most rodent pets prefer having 2 or more in their cage for companionship.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:26 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't have anything smaller then a guinea pig in the house.. LOL! We use to have 4 of them. The average cost is about $60, for the guinea pig and the cage. That's not including food, hay, and accessories. Might I suggest http://www.cavyspirit.com/care.htm It's a great site with TONS of information :)
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 10:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2010