What should I expect to pay?

We have a fairly small kitten (he's about 5 months old) that was born in our backyard. He's the only one of his litter to survive and we've been taking care of him. Anyway, hubby said that if I would get him fixed and declawed he could be an inside cat. How much should I expect to pay for that? I don't call around and ask for "quotes" from doctors, is it okay to do it with vets?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 8:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pets

• I don't know about the nueter, but I would think around $150 it's cheaper to nueter than to spay because it's a pretty simple procedure. As for the declaw, I really don't recommend declawing. A lot of people are not aware that declawing does not just take the cats claws out, but it is actually an amputation of the cats toe at the first knuckle which is very painful for the cat. Plus, *sometimes* a cat will start biting if they don't have their claws. Instead, you could use something called softpaws which are plastic claw covers which you put on the cat yourself, they are simple and cheap. I think it's about $20 for a 6 month supply. I have used them and they protected my dd, my furniture,and my carpet. If you're interested you can get them at softpaws.com or you can ask your vet if they sell them there. :)
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• For the love of humanity, don't declaw the cat! It's very painful for the animal, long recovery period and can result in severe anxiety disorders in the cat.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is perfectly ok to call around to the vets in your area and ask them for their prices. I would also not recommend getting the cat declawed. It is not a very good thing for the cat for all of the above stated reasons. And congrats on your new fur baby!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Yes you can call.. It shouldn't be too bad. They will want to give shots along with the procedures. I would think that they will all quote you very close to the same cost for the procedures, Vets aren't known to try and take people for their money. Pet care just isn't cheap because believe it or not, it's far more difficult to become a Vet than a M.D. Their schooling takes much longer.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I am also against declawing the cat. It is very painful for them & i believe it is very selfish of the owners. Just fix it, let it be a part time outdoor cat & let the poor thing keep its claws!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would also reccomend calling around. We have an "Optimum wellness plan" through petsmart. you pay monthly and the amount of the monthly payment depends on the size of the plan and then other services that arent included are discounted. It is through Banfield inside petsmart stores. When my cat was a kitten we had the highest one..it was about $22 a month and included all vaccinations, tests, checkups, office visits, and a surgery (spay/nueter/declaw) Other things like medications were discounted. You do have to sign a 1 year contract. but after that year is up you can cancel or change it to a lesser plan ...we now only pay $14 a month and it still includes everything but the surgery.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Most vets will not declaw, just to let you know. It's not very humane. I'd suggest getting soft paws instead. Most vets do it. It's a soft cap that goes over each claw.

And it's perfectly fine to call around to get prices from vets. :) You might also look to see if there is a low cost spay and neuter clinic in your area. :)

Congrats on your new kitty!! :D
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 10:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When you de claw a cat you are basically cutting of the toe from the bone.

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

There is some information about declawing.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• yep, call the vets in your area and ask their rates. I found in my area the price difference was $150 or more.

I belive we paid around $300 for our cats first shots, neutering and declaw
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Call around, the prices can really vary!! (And I think they expect people to call and inquire, it's not rude :) You can also check vet schools (if there's one in your area). I had a cat declawed and neutered for $25. That was a good 15 years ago, but the school only charged me for the materials used.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2010