how can i stop my breasts from drowning my baby?? adult content

I have been told i have "fast flowing" nipples. i try to pump before i feed, but it doesn't seem to help. is my only choice to pump and feed her with a bottle, if anyone has any suggestions i would really appreciate it!

katie201005

Asked by katie201005 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is she actually choking when she eats?
    I haven't heard of this before so I'm giving you a bump... I'm interested to read what others say
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I'm bumping you. Never heard of this but you've peaked my interest.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• yeah she acctually chokes on it! once my nipples have been stimulated, the milk just flows out, sometimes with distance!
    katie201005

Comment by katie201005 (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would check out the breastfeeding group here on CM [the ladies are incredibly helpful] or call a local lactation consultant.
    OR check out kellymom.com!

Good luck!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It sounds like you have an over active let down. Check out www.kellymom.com to help with it. I never had that issue myself so I can't personally help, but kellymom is great for all things breastfeeding related.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:13 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I used to have the same problem. One thing that seemed to help me was when she was in the cradle position, I would hold her hand and raise her arm. I'm not sure why, but it seemed to help her control her intake.

You can also sit her where she's more upright and the milk doesn't flow "down" as much. I wasn't able to do that because I could never find the "right" position, but it might work for you.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i have no clue, but i'm bumping as well. i'm interested in the responses you get. good luck! and if you have to pump and bottle feed, atleast she's getting the good stuff.
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 11:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i had this same exact problem : oversupply + fast let down + fast flow. i ended up squirting my ds too many times to count. i figured out there are a couple things you can do that i tried. maybe they can help you too. when you feel your letdown and LO starts to get the milk
    a. take a burp rag and let your breasts drain enough until the flow slows down. it keeps your baby from being frustrated, generally
    b. push your nipple into your breast gently. i tried the lilly pads and that's how they work (to keep you from leaking) you can let go and see if the flow is still too fast. once the letdown was done i still had to do this now and again
    c. i wouldn't suggest pumping cause all you're doing is reinforcing the need for milk. this creates more milk to replace the amount or more that you pumped out.
    d. when you nurse, sit on something that reclines. have the baby lay on top of you, using gravity to slow the flow.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 1:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• thank you girls for all your help. i am glad i joined this group. it was very comforting to know that i was not the only one with this problem since doctors and nurses all said that they usualy only hear about mom's not making enough milk. Marri357, i tried the reclining chair and it worked like a charm thank you so much. now that my dd is a little older we are both getting a handle on it !! thanks again too all who had any advice and for the bumps!!
    katie201005

Comment by katie201005 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2011