my 14 mnth old hits when he is frustrated is this normal?

my 14 month old has been slapping when his upset, i dont want him to be mean and i do understand where he is oicking it up, but i was wondering is this just a phase, please tell me your opinion

christinaMJ

Asked by christinaMJ at 1:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter did that its just a phase just tell him hitting is bad and you shouldnt do it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• It is a normal phase all kids go through. The key is to correct the behavior as many times as needed to get them to stop acting out of frustration.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:23 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• well i can tell you if it is a phase well it wont go away soon my 3yr old still hits too i thought she would grow out of it too she started hitting when she was about 1 and still hits to this day sorry not much help just letting you know to be prepared
    katrina2girls

Answer by katrina2girls at 1:46 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• mine does the same. They are frustrated and can't communicate. It's about all the can control!
    Anonymous

• my son just started this too! its driving me nuts b/c he is a well behaved child most of the time. I have taken corrective action on myself though, instead of swatting his hand or whatever i make him look me in the eyes and talk to him so that im not the one "showing him" the behavior as well. Its really hard when all he does is throw himself back when i talk to him though, but i do my best not to raise my voice or take his behavior personally b/c he is learning. I was raised with my parents spanking me and talking to me once i was old enough to understand and respond too. Im not against spanking but i dont believe it is effective for my son right now, he is very stubborn. I think he is starting to form opinions even though he doesnt know what his opinion is per say.
    Anonymous

• It is a normal behavior that will need correcting. Children hit out of frustration because they are learning what is appropriate behavior. Gently stop the hitting hand, give a firm "NO" to the action. When the child is older give them the words to use. Like "I am mad", "I don't like this".
    Meerkatie

Answer by Meerkatie at 6:07 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• yeah i dont ever slap his hand or yell at him because its hypocritical. sometimes he just hits or throws a toy i just dont want it to go beyond that he is a really nice boy most times.
    christinaMJ

Answer by christinaMJ at 6:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2008