What do you do with your early riser?

Hello,

Our 14 month old will wake up between 1 and 2 times per night and sometimes will wake between 5 and 5:30. I KNOW she needs more sleep and despite our efforts (we've tried many things to get her to sleep another hour), she likes to just cuddle in bed and nurse, but she never actually falls back asleep. By the time 7:15 rolls around, she's yawning...by the time 8 or 8:30 rolls around, she's ready for a nap. My hope is that like everything else, this is a passing phase. But I'm wondering for those of you who have early risers, how do you spend your morning? Do you just hang out at home in your pajamas until that first nap? Do you try to push your baby to stay awake until after lunch (personally, I can't imagine she'd make it that long)? I usually play with her, make breakfast, turn the news on or some music, bake, check email, play some more...occasionally we'll take a brisk walk or head to the grocery store.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is an early riser she is up and ready to start the day between 530-6am so i feed her breakfast and then she plays and i take a shower or sometimes i just get dressed and get her dressed and we go and run our errands. She started daycare about a month or so ago so on the weekends that i have off or have to go in later in the day we go to the farmers market then to the park if it's nice out we will have lunch at the park and then we get home around 12:30 and she is down for the count by 1pm for her nap she will sleep anywhere from hour to two hours. She is also 2 yrs old but this started when she was a little over a yr old. I gave up on a morning nap right before her first b-day cause if she took one in the morning she wasn't ready for an afternoon nap till4-5pm and that is just to late.

Have you tried to put your LO to bed later at night? You may want to try that and see if your LO will sleep a little longer in the AM.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Well, my DS gets up about 7:30..we just snuggle on the couch, and watch cartoons.
    blueeyedbabyz

Answer by blueeyedbabyz at 9:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• my DD wakes up any where from 8-9 if im lucky enough 10.. she wakes up in the middle of the night for a bottle tho and ive notice that the nights that she doesnt wake up she wakes up early and the nights she wakes up she sleeps longer.
    tayysmommy

Answer by tayysmommy at 10:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• sounds like it's just her schedule. atleast you know she likes getting a start on the day! work with it. like the mom who goes to the farmers market and such. i love the way her day was layed out. sounds like if you adopt something similiar it might work for you.
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 2:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010