how do i tell my 2 year old that who he called daddy is gone?

i just kicked my long time boyfriend out of the house, and my son got attached to him and had been calling him daddy. now that hes gone he will scream where daddy and no daddy do it when the guy is gone.

blazebaby

Asked by blazebaby at 1:09 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Relationships

• Is there anyway that he can maybe spend time with him although you're not together? If so then let them spend the day or a weekend together if you're comfotable with it :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Keep it simple. Tell the child the 2 of you were not getting along. Tell the child both of you decided it would be better to live apart and not fight all the time. 2 year olds dont have a strong grasp of relationships, so keeping your answers simple will help him undertsand and move on.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• have him hang out with grandpa or a brother of yours that he loves. he needs some male bonding. maybe someone that can be a big brother to him. maybe join some play groups. he will forget about the fake daddy. it may take some time.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• he will eventually forget. i left my ex when my son was young as he would do the same thing but after awhile he calmed down. i just told my son hes living somewhere else and left it at that. i dont think him seeing sometimes is a good idea if your broke up cause it will cause more confusion for him, especially if you get with someone else.
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Is there in anaway he can talk to him on the phone at least?Tell your ex that your boy is suffering emotinal he must feel horrible .Children have that attachement it will be hard for him at first you don't want to tramatize him he probably is getting a little bit of anxiety.I am a psycology student.Your child is going through a deep sense of loss right now .What your child is doing is acting out.children react differently depending on thir personality.Young chidren were to found more dependent,whiny,demanding and unaffectionate than children from a strong stable family. .what your child needs is alot of mommy time and try to have some kind of interaction let your child spend time with your ex once in a while I reccomend counseling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It will take time for him to get over not seeing him but at that age it doesn't take too long... out of sight out of mind. One thing though, if your ex was like a father to him wouldn't he want to see him? If he does come around for the child I would spread it out. I've seen this happen to children over and over and I understand he is only 2 but you should tell him the truth about who his father is. It can create more anxiety when he thinks men in your life are his "new daddy". I'm not saying you would do this but it is easy for kids to fall into. My son has a man in his life that is not his father and he does not call him daddy but he knows his role is as a father and respects that.
    Anonymous