Have I spoiled my son already?

He's six week old, and you just can't put him down for very long without him crying... If he's awake he needs constant attention: holding, rocking, playing. My husband says: why can't he just be content for a few minutes by himself? He's only content if we're holding, rocking, feeding or playing with him. Have I caused this or is it normal baby behavior?

sawyersmom2010

Asked by sawyersmom2010 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You cannot spoil a newborn.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Completely normal, all babies are different, some like to be held close all the time and others can be more independent. Our first two were ok with laying by themselves for small amounts of time but our 3rd had to be held all the time.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• In my opinion no... you can't spoil a baby. Babies are needy and helpless because they are babies. Older kids learn how to be content by themselves for a few minutes but most babies need constant nurturing- there are some babies that are not as vocal about their needs for love, nurturing and attention but I don't think that means that they need it any less.
    Enjoy this time as much as you can, before you know it he'll be all grown and won't need you anymore :(
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You cannot spoil an infant.!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• all babies are like that. my daughter would sleep alot by herself, but i think that's more of a fluke than the norm. my sons were always attached to me constantly too lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Lol. No. That's just his personality. I also have a highly sensitive, high intensity baby. She used to scream whenever she wasn't being rocked, soothed or held. She's 6months now and it's getting better. She's still very demanding but we understand that she doesn't like feeling alone. We're very blessed to have a baby who loves us so much. She really goes nuts without us. Just hang in there, mama. Like I said, it does get better. Don't deprive him of what he clearly needs.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 9:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Nah, some babies are like that. My daughter was, but there were times when I couldn't hold her. If I was showering or going to the bathroom or doing dishes, stuff like that. Then she would just have cry. It gets better
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• You CANNOT spoil a newborn. They are doing what they need to SURVIVE and so answering to his cues are not SPOILING him at all. Get yourself a sling and get on with your day. Good luck mama! Some children need to be held more then others. He has only been outside your womb for 6 weeks. All he knew before that for 9 months was being carried inside hearing everything around him. It takes a little time to get used to not being in that environment.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• babies want to be held for a reason
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• remember you were holding him inside you for his whole life and now he is in this big open world. It's scary and also with that in mind, even if you hold him for 12hrs a day theres still the other 12 he's not getting and is used to from the womb. It is VERY frustrating though, I know! I'm in the same boat with my 8wk old. Good luck and remember he will never be as small as he is today so hold him and cherish each min.!! GL
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2010