Why is this not considered abuse?

The other day at a gas station, I see a nice SUV pull up. Mom hops out, and then I see a 2 yr old and a 3yr old climbing all over. I see an adult holding and playing with a baby under the age of 6mths. I get my phone, dial the sheriff, and wait for the car to leave to see if they will put these kids in carseats.They didnt.I call the sheriff, get their plates,and follow them.The cops never came. 3 lives were in danger. The fine for not using a carseat? $25. You get fined more for littering.To me, risking your childs life is abuse. If you left your child unattended by a pool, you'd probably be in deep crap.If you spank them you can have them taken away....but put them in a moving vehicle, with no protection, and its no big deal?

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• i see alot of people doing that around here (md).....mostly africans, but when i lived in nj i saw alot of mexicans doing it too. i think the police should enforce it too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree, if police are going to give out tickets for adults not wearing seatbelts they should definitely enforce carseats for kids and babies
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have seen that a lot, myself, and it irritates me to no end. I have even been known to say, real loud so I KNOW that they can hear me, how stupid it is to be driving around with your children not in car seats. Especially when they are that small and that young!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I disagree. It is not abuse. It is neglect and a HUGE difference.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:40 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• People do that a LOT in my home town. it drives me crazy!!!!!!
    VanessaMomof2

Answer by VanessaMomof2 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Here the fine for not having a child in a car seat or booster seat is $145.00 per child. I have seen this only a few times and sad to say it was mostly asian families. Around here the officers do enforce these laws so it is not very common to see that activity. It is very sad, don't the parents think about what could happen. Even if you are the best driver others are not!
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Good Topic....I give it a thumbs UP....That's a very good point and the police should really get strict about these policies and enforce them if they are going to make it a law. I am so tired of hearing about the laws people have to live by. But, when one law...And a very important law no doubt, comes up they don't want to deal with it. It's sad really........
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• – collapse
    Lighten up people. Where I live the law for carseats is until the age of 3. After their 3rd year of age I can throw the car seat away. Americans are over protective of their children. For a child to die in a car accident, the car accident needs to be so bad the kid would die carseat or no carseat. Otherwise, it's very very very difficult for someone in the backseat to die. It's physics.

Anyway, as an American, of course I use a car seat and my daughter is 6. The reason is not that I'm afraid for her life because as I said before, for someone in the backseat to die the accident must be so deadly everyone would die. The reason is I want to avoid this judgement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• I see it everywhere too, this wasnt an isolated incident. I used to think that it was just alot of "lower" class people who did it, but this was a yukon denali, pretty new..id say probably a 2007. This is one form of "neglect" that in my area is done by people of all classes and races. Im 21, we are lower-middle class, and have 2 kids. My kids have GOOD carseats. I saved up for them to have nice carseats. Its not THAT hard. They arent THAT expensive. I prefer Britax ($300) but the Cosco Scenera is usually around $40...easily affordable. So much money is spent on commercials for not driving around with your music blaring, not littering, buckling up adults, drinking and driving...all very good causes, but I've never seen a commercial in my area for the consequences or IMPORTANCE of using a Child Restraint Device. Sometimes parents are lazy, but sometimes they just dont KNOW better.
    Auntiemom410

Comment by Auntiemom410 (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• anon, i must respectfully disagree with you. if a child, like the op stated, is not sitting down and the driver gets in a crash, the child could go flying out of the front or back window. chances are the adults driving that car WERE using THEIR seatbelt and they won't be harmed. being in a carseat will prevent this from happening, since they are strapped down to the seat. you also face the problem of internal decapitation, even if you ARE in a carseat but not correctly strapped in or facing foward to soon. carseats DO save lives, that is their purpose, same as a seatbelt for adults or children that are big enough to use them. it's really sad and pathetic on the law's part that the fine for speeding 6 miles over the speed limit or failing to use your turn signal is higher than having your child riding safely in the car.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010