Upright or chest freezer?

We have a chest freezer & it's starting to show its age (it's 16 years old), plus we would like something bigger, but we're debating on what style to get. I know I want my next freezer to be frost-free & energy star rated. I don't like my current chest freezer b/c I practically have to climb into it to reach anything in the bottom & stuff gets lost down there. I figure with an upright I won't have that problem, but can I store as much in an upright as I can a chest freezer of the same or similar size?

mom2aspclboy

Asked by mom2aspclboy at 9:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We had a chest freezer and ended up replacing it with an upright. It's so much nicer!! Food doesn't get lost forever in the bottom. Everything is easy to get to and it's easy to see what I have and what I need. It takes up less space. I love my new freezer.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Upright won't store as much as a chest freezer. BUT you don't have to climb into it to get whats at the bottom.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It depends on the volume (# of cubic feet). You can get uprights that are just as big as chest freezers and will hold just as much.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:38 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Most chest freezers are more efficient in keeping food very cold than uprights and things will last longer in a chest than an upright. I preference my upright just for the fact I don't have to swim for my food
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 9:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Upright...If your having that problem of reaching for something...I would go with the Upright...Plus they are nicer to look at.....LOL
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Upright. They take up less space. No danger of falling in. Food won't get "lost" in the bottom.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Upright- I am too short and old for climbing in freezers.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I really want an upright. Like you I am tired of climbing into the chest to get things..plus it is in my kitchen and takes up a lot of room. I have a space in my laundry room for an upright so I want to get rid of my chest and put another counter there with cabinets b/c I have no counter space in my kitchen and it gets frustrating having to cook in that! If you get a big enough cubic feet, I am sure you can fit just as much!
    chrissi0103

Answer by chrissi0103 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2010