What's your oppinion on letting a baby 'cry it out' at 6 months or older?

Did you try or it or will you. I am just curious what people's oppinions.

Lisa.Price

Asked by Lisa.Price at 9:38 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not a cry it out person... if they are crying for more than 5 min I pick them up
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:38 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• it works. i let all my kids start sleeping through the night at 6 months. two of them were not a problem. the middle one cried about 10 minitues every night for about a week and then he got it too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• if i have exhausted all other options (i.e. is baby hungry? wet? sick? in need of some kissin and huggin?) and still not content, then i leave the room. the longest any of mine have ever self-soothed is 10 minutes, and they fall asleep. sometimes, adult or infant, when you're tired you don't know what you want.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think every baby is different, and you have to use your mommy instincts when doing this. For my dd I thought 6 months was too young for her, but eventually I had to try it around ten months I never let her cry more than 10 minutes though, and then I would rock her and try it again. But my method was specific to my baby and it took a couple weeks, but it did help her fall asleep on her own.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I couldn't do it even if i tried, that's why every last one of my kids are truly spoiled and trust i am feeling the affects of picking them up at every whim now
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 9:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I let my kids cry it out sometimes. Sometimes you just feel to exhausted and need some time before picking them up. I understand that and i think it's okay. I personally, would not let them cry for more than say, 10 minutes?...
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think it depends on the child. I think at 6 months it is fine to try CIO method if you know that your LO is not hungry, need a diaper change, etc.

The method I used is a variation of Ferber method. We did a bedtime routine and made sure everything was calm before bedtime. We made sure our kids didn't eat in the hour leading up to bedtime [also you want to make sure that they are getting adequate naps during the day - if I remember correctly - mine took 3 naps a day at 6 months]. We placed them in bed, did our night nights and then left the room. I'd wait 5 minutes and if they were crying, go back in and rub their back, calm them down and say goodnight again and leave the room. I would repeat that until they fell asleep. [Of course, I made sure they never got too worked up, you know your baby's cries, you don't want them too upset]. The first night it took 40 minutes, the second night 20 minutes, [hold on for another reply!]
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• [continued....] the third night it was 10 minutes and then by the 4th night, there was no fussing/crying! :)

Again though, it all depends on the child. CIO doesn't work for everyone. And you have to be able to distinguish cries too. Oh! And the reason for not feeding in the last hour they are awake is so that if they get upset crying, they won't throw up. There have been parents who didn't do CIO the right way and had just fed their child who got so upset that they vomited and ended up choking on their own vomit and dying. So just be careful to keep an eye and an ear out on the situation!

Good luck!!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My firstborn is 6months now and I will not be using any CIO methods. It just goes against all my maternal instincts. If she is crying for me, I respond. I am after all an adult and I will take sleepless nights over my baby feeling distressed any day. If you really must, at least wait untill he/she is a bit older.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 9:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Great responses ladies! I am so glad the people did not use this as a bashing forum... I personally think that everyone has a way which works for them. Our son sort of "whines it out" occassionally in the middle of the night. If we go in his room to 'help" he has his pacifier in his mouth and is still sleeping.
    Lisa.Price

Comment by Lisa.Price (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2010