Do you think this is a good alternative to Halloween candy?

I don't really want to buy Halloween candy to hand out, but I don't want to not have anything. I thought instead about those fruit snacks (like Welch's has--do they make those in Halloween packets?) and maybe Halloween pencils and stickers. Would that be a good alternative, or would something else be better?

The reason I don't want any is because 1) I don't want my son to have a lot. We're going to take him trick or treating of course and get him a little bit of candy, but I just don't want him to have heaps of it available to him. 2) My own personal demons, LOL.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Holidays

• Sounds good... I order little prize items from http://www.orientaltrading.com/and give those out.  Last year I cleaned out my prize bucket at school and handed out all of the extra stuff no one had picked so that I could restock it and the trick or treaters loved it.  I had rings, stickers, bouncy balls, tattoos, wall climbers and all kinds of stuff.  The prize type things went even faster than the candy - I think kids like the variety.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:33 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• That is a good idea, but how about packages of goldfish crackers, or pretzels?..... low sugar :) Im not a fan of giving out candy either. This year I'm going to give out pretzels and glowstick bracelets.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think that is a great alternative! I've been thinking about doing the same thing, except we live way out in the sticks and don't get trick or treaters here.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Sounds good to me!
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 10:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I have been doing fruit snacks for years now, as well as little favors. Always has been a big hit.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think that's a great idea!
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• this is a great idea, i think i'm going to do the same and find a healthy alternative.
    24hourmom185

Answer by 24hourmom185 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Go to the Halloween party supply aisle. There should be party favors for cheap. Kids will love those as much as they love candy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• great idea and im sure other parents will be thankful for keeping the SUGARLOAD down with their kids also
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• That's a better idea then what I thought you were going to say. Sweet treats of any kind are welcome to children, and the fruit snacks would be appriciated by the parents. I think it will be a good choice.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2010