should a 12 year old tack birth control

my friends child has started her monthly period and she is not regular and she has had sex. i know when i herd this i almost died. she is 12 years old is this to young to start birth control to get her regular and keep her protected.

24hourmom185

Asked by 24hourmom185 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• um, I'm more concerned with a 12 year old having sex then being on BCP
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Not if she is sexually active. She can not afford to get pregnant.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think BC would give her a false security.. She may think she can not get pregnant and can not get an std.. I think it is way too young for her to be having sex, too.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 10:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• you may be more concerned with the child having sex but how many children tell their parents when they start having sex?
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 10:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think this is too young. For one thing, aside from the fact that 12 is too young to be having sex, but.... Anyway, birth control only protects against pg - not diseases - so, if anything, they should be buying condoms...

Also, from the physical aspect of it - I have a venal malformation which really didn't cause any health problems growing up for me, and there are many who have them and they can't see them, so they don't know they have them. I can't take bc pills, because the hormonal changes that they cause trigger the malformation to grow

At 12, it's not uncommon for her period to not be regular yet, and again, it's too young for sex (yes, some teens do it anyway - but seriously - 12? She's not even old enough for most babysitting classes at that age!). I wouldn't do it, and I think I would be supervising a little more strictly.

gl to your friend and her dd!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• A 12 yr old - not unusual to have irregular periods especially if she just started with in the last couple of years.
    A 12 yr old that is sexually active - needs to have some sense scared into her. Show her some STD pictures.
    Is she too young for BC pill - yes!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• OMG....are you sure? How in the world does a 12 year old have so much freedom and such a lack of parenting that she is having sex ?
    When my daughters were 12, they had not even had a period (they were slim and matured later because they weren't fat) and they had no interest in boyfriends. They were happy to be home with us and be just kids,with no need to pretend they were grownups. They waited until they were in college to get serious and have sex. They trusted me enough to tell me. They knew about birth control but they never needed it .
    WOw...what is happening to people?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If she is sexually active, she NEEDS birth control so she won't be a mom anytime soon...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The concern should be for the fact that she has already had sex at the age of 12. She is so young to handle such a big responsibility. As a parent it would seem to me that there needs to be a dialog with her mother on the need to be sexually active in the first place. Her mom should have conversations about her esteem and the dangers of STD's which could ruin her life permanently. Although as a precautionary measure, her mother should also put her on a BC since she has already been engaging in sexual activities.
    momtms3

Answer by momtms3 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Do you guys really keep such good tabs on your kids that they are not capable of having sex? If so I feel bad for them if thats the case. Children need to progressivly have more freedom to be able to make better choices. The fact someone had sex when they are 12... them talk to an adult about it...
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 7:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2010