New, but hesitant, country fan

Which artists do you recommend for someone who's slowly appreciating country music but doesn't like the twang and whine that a lot of songs and artists have? Is there a compromise of country and rock? I'm a rock and metal fan through and through; is there a happy medium anywhere?

The ONLY country cd is I have is from 2004 when Redneck Woman (Gretchen Wilson) came out. I liked Shania Twain when I was in junior high school and Taylor Swift is okay, but too young for my musical taste (I'm almost 30).

One of my favorite actors from the TNT show Leverage recently released an EP (five songs) that are country and I love the sound of them.

Any ideas?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Entertainment

• *laughs* I was actually going to suggest Christian Kane, because he seems to hook a lot of people who say they aren't into country music.

What about Carrie Underwood? Her video for "So Small" has the added benefit of Christian appearing in it. :)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

• I think Blake Shelton is a good one
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 10:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Try Reba McIntire, and maybe even some Trace Adkins.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Lady Antebellum, Zac Brown band, Little Big Town, Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney. These are just a few...but there are a lot of good ones out now!

It doesn't matter what I listen to, I always go back to country music!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Well, this is just a list of artists I currently like. You'll just have to listen to them to determine whether or not you like them:

Montgomery Gentry, Josh Turner, Jason Aldean, Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Brad Paisley, Big and Rich, Zac Brown Band, and Sugarland.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't like coutry, or should i say POP country...hate it. But, i will listen to some Americana, which some people think is country but its not. "The gourds" are my favorite as far as Americana go. I LOVE Gillian Welch, she is more folky & old timey, which i LOVE. Shinyribs is one of my new favorites. Here is the gourds covering Snoop's Gin & Juice. It's very well done country style!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrpdgD2SLRQ

Shinyribs, who built the moon;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQyYezrPA8 

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Zac Brown Band is really good!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• ""I'm Your Man" or something like that by a bass voice of a country singer."

This one, maybe? http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=be+your+man+josh+turner&aq=f&aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=84f34ab5383c7ee9 Click the first link and it should play the song.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 3:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thanks!! I'll keep checking back on this one. =)
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There was a song that Trace Adkins (I think) did a couple of years ago that was super catchy; I think the video took place in a bar. I also liked "I'm Your Man" or something like that by a bass voice of a country singer. I love the deep voices (like Peter Steele from Type O Negative; pity he died a couple of months ago).

I've been playing Christian Kane's five songs over and over from his website.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2010