Leaving dogs outside/ what would you do?

My husband has an uncle going through cancer treatment. The guys has 2 dogs.
His son lives 1/4 mile down the road and the uncle now lives with his son.
The dogs are left at the uncles house. tied up outside 24/7 and it gets to around 35 above zero here at night.
This is a rural area and not sure who should be called about the neglect of these dogs.
The local sheriff? local animal shelter? I don't want to start anything within the family but these dogs cannot be left outside 24/7 and the uncles boy says he will build the dogs doge houses but he never will.
Also what do I say? that these dogs are tied up and abandoned or tell them where to find the owner? I can remain anon right?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 10:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pets

• I'd call someone because I had two dogs and I think that it is terrible to leave them outside like that! But let whoever you talk too know the situation, so the Uncle does not get into trouble.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• YES- You can call the Animal Control Anonymously- I would just tell tell them exactly what you said here- That there is 2 dogs that are being extremely Neglected & you are very concerned about their well-being- i would tell them they are being left with No Shelter & maybe even Food & Water- i just called on my neighbors a few months ago about the same thing & they came out within 2 days- i also live in a rural area- Wishing you lots of luck- Both of these dogs will be So Thankful that you Helped them out!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• we have colder temps than that if you call any one if the dogs have a shelter they wont do any thing also as long as they are being feed can you imagin going through what he is going through and having some one trying to take you pets maybe talk to the owner and tell him that who ever is watching these dogs doesnt care but as far as being out in tho cold it cold here and lot of people leave their dogs out they just get use to it good luck
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Musicmom80- Animal Control came out to my neighbors without a warrant- gave them 72 hours to fix the situation, including proof of shots & then came back for a follow-up on the third day- i live in NC; maybe it's a state to state thing but, i have never heard of Animal Control Not being able to check on a Abused or Neglected Animal nomatter where they are-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:13 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Depending on your local laws, animal control probably won't do anything as long as the dogs are still being cared for. It is not illegal in most places for dogs to live outside.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I personally wouldn't care what the guy thought. I'd take them to an animal shelter myself but since you want to keep all well in the family call an animal shelter and just tell them they are out there all the time with no shelter. Do they get fed? Do they have water? Those are other things you could tell the shelter folks. Good luck to you and those poor doggies!
    Jennifer R.

Answer by Jennifer R. at 11:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think that the son is probably overwhelmed with his dad going through cancer treatment and the poor dogs are falling through the cracks. If I were you, I would talk to the son and offer HELP.

I would say "I know you have a lot on your plate right now so I was wondering if I could help you find other options for the dogs. It is fall and getting colder already." Then I would talk to him to see what the long term plan is for the dogs. Maybe someone in the family wants them... If not and the dads situation is not likely to improve, then you can offer to take the dogs to shelter or find a home for them. If the dad will likely get better, maybe you can offer to keep the dogs temp until he is better... offer to build or buy a house for them yourself. Give the guy a break thinking that his intentions are good, but he is in a hard spot with his dad being ill. I say you try to help before you file a complaint.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 4:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I meant to say the guy has 2 dogs...sorry
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would report that they are abandon
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I work with animal shelters and rescues, here are the stipulations:
    A dog can be tied up 24/7 as long as there is food, water, and shelter
    HOWEVER the only time animal control can do anything is if the dogs are thin, emaciated, sitting in their own feces and they must have a warrant. They can't even go on the property. If this is whats going on, then call your local humane society.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2010