what is a blighted ovum??

and when do they detect such thing usually?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's a fertilized egg that doesn't develop into a baby and it either passes or they give you a shot of something to make it pass. Stop worrrying already girl!!!! You'll be okay! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There is a placental sac but it is empty because the ovum (baby) has died and dissolved....my DIL had conceived twins and one was a blighted ovum....so she gave birth to one baby. They could tell by doing a sonogram or ultrasound at about 10 weeks, if I remember correctly.She had lots of bleeding and they did the exam which showed the blighted ovum.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• A blighted ovum is an egg that's missing part or all of the genetic code that creates the fetus when it is fertilized. Most of the time, these eggs pass as part of your normal cycle, but something they do get fertilized. Generally, it would be noticeable during your first ultrasound.

I had a blighted ovum with my second confirmed pregnancy. I developed a placenta and a crude partial umbilicus, but no fetus. I ended up having to have a D&C because the placenta would not/did not detach properly when I miscarried.

If you've already had your first ultrasound and seen the "string of pearls", as my ultrasound tech called the spine, then there is no worry about a blighted ovum.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• a sac that is empty & didn't develop baby in it! with my second child i had 2 sacs one with my baby girl in it & one that was empty.

aangelmommie03

Answer by aangelmommie03 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• its a empty yolk sac which means baby didnt form or did but something was wrong and body disolved it.i had this happen to me i was spotting they did early transaginal sono said there was empty sac and most likley i was gonna mc or i was off on my lmp which i knew i was correct with 2 days later i miscarried
    loomis6

Answer by loomis6 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It's when you have the sack, but no baby. I had that happen to me on my very first pregnancy. I went in at 12 weeks to have an ultrasound to check on everything since that was my first doctor's appointment. They found the sack, but no baby. They ended up doing a D&C .
    lakens_mommy

Answer by lakens_mommy at 3:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2010