teething hell......

my 3 1/2 m.o. is in teething hell. Baby tylenol, anbesol and hylands teething tablets bring little relief. She is in pain and is on the brink of crying for the entire day. I am a WAHM and literally can't afford to hold her all day, which is the only thing that works right now (holding her seems to calm her). I guess I could use my carrier, but I am worried that she will get too used to being held all day and will never let me put her down ever again.....advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried Childrens Motrin?? That is a better pain reliver for teething as it's an anti-inflamitory.
    My daughter was a really HARD teether. Best of luck, i hope she (and you) feel better soon
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Dampen a washcloth, fold it into quarters and freeze it. The nubbiness of the fabric will give her something to chew, the cloth will absorb all drool and the cold will help numb her gums. Plus nothing comes loose like teething biscuits, so there's less choking hazard. When it's all gummed up, it only has to be tossed in with the laundry to be good as new.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:13 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I give mine frozen banana in a mesh bag. But it only keeps herhappy for 10 minutes, then I have a huge mess to clean up. Mine is going towards crying all day too. I am a WAHM too, so I am in the same situation as you!!! Don't know what to do !!!
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• A freeze pinkey or a new wash cloth that you put in the freezer wet and let freeze , then they suck on it ., always helped my kids!
    Susan83156

Answer by Susan83156 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I use baby orajel, the nightime formula. You could try frozen celery, babies can't tear pieces off.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• when my son was that age we gave him frozen waffles, granted it had to hold it for him and take it away as soon as it started breaking apart, but it helped. Frozen wash clothes helped too
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• First off, you cannot spoil a baby under four month. I would try putting her in her sling until she gets past this hurdle so that you get some work done. A baby is used to being held 24 hours a day in the womb. Even if you hold her for 12 hours, that's half of what she was used to. Its such an easy comfort.
    Alternating hylands teething tablets with Gripe Water seemed to help my son. It he got really bad, I gave him a small dose of tylenol. I would also mist some of his washcloth material stuffed animals that are easy for him to hold, and put them in the freezer. He liked to chew those more than teething rings. Also frozen carrots.
    Best of luck! Teething hell is a scary place to be! Hang in there.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Try let her suck on a hard bagel or a chunk of ice
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• NO to the motrin...your baby is too young for it (though it does work better than tylenol). Its hard when they're this young b/c they don't really understand the concept of why you're trying to put cold things in his/her mouth...I had that same problem with DS. I tried everything...a cold washcloth, the mesh bag with frozen fruits, teethers, you name it. Unfortunately, for me nothing really worked. I'd give tylenol to help with the pain, but tried not to do it too often. What really helped him was the little rubber chewers...he had a little toy blanket with a tigger's head on it & one of the corners was rubbery & bumpy & he would chomp on that like it was no ones business. Seemed to help. Car rides helped get him to sleep. I don't think wearing her is a bad idea since she's so young. You won't be doing it forever. I held DS a lot when he was teething & he rarely wants held now (at 2 1/2). Good luck, honey!!!
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would use hard, cold things. That is the only thing that worked with my son. We went through teething hell as well. Good luck momma!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010