I have triplets in 2 classes 2nd grade private school , the teacher and prinipal had meeting with my husband and myself and wants to put him back in 1st grade. He has two sisters and they are doing fine. He went to summer school and tutored him at end of sunmmer . All was ok except he broke his arm nd now is kinda depressed and doesnt want to work! We dont know wha to do he will miss his friends and sisters and maybe become more depressed! Help with some ideas if you can?????

Susan83156

Asked by Susan83156 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What subjects is he struggling in? Did he only struggle this past year or was Kindergarten a struggle as well?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• What is the school's reasoning for wanting to hold your son back? If it is an academic issue, what interventions have they tried first? If there is a concern of a learning disability or similar, you can have your child tested for free by the public school system (yes, even if he's going to a private school), & if he qualifies for services, you would be required to transport him to wherever the public school provides those services (most likey in what would be his public school bldg).

If it is for behavioral reasons, again, what interventions has the school tried first? Has anyone asked your son what he thinks might help him with his school work? Even if he didn't break his dominant arm, maybe he needs extra help w/his work? Maybe he's bored in class & needs challenged more? Etc, etc.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I am there with you. I have twin girls in third. They were in advanced reading together. One was failing and the other was fine. I am letting them put the failing one in regular class. The passing one will stay. I would talk to my son. It may be easier on him academically if he goes back to first but nobody seems to understand the complex issues of multiples. I would let him know he needs to go back and it will be easier on him. Hugs mom. I know this is hard.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:49 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i hope you get this sorted x0x0x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If he is struggling and his sisters are succeeding, you can either hold him back now so that he masters the skills he needs. It would be much harder on him to hold him back in the later grades than now in the earlier.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would request a meeting and some more in depth reasons for why they want to hold him back or see if there is any way they can help him succeed in his present grade.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2010