Did you wake your baby up to feed him/her?

My doc and the nurses said to wake my son up every 2 hrs. when he was a newborn to feed him. We made the decision early on to let him sleep at night and feed him when he woke up. He was sleeping 6-8 hrs a night when he was 2 weeks old. He's 7 months now and on target for weight and height.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doc told me the exact same thing: To wake my daughter up every 2 hrs or so to feed her, When we first brought her home the first night i did, but soon realized that when I woke her up she was bright eyed and awake and it was hard for her to get back to sleep. So i stopped waking her up at night to feed her. She never had any problems of any kind because i didt. and i talked to my doc on her 1st appt with her and her doc said that that was fine. that I didnt have to wake her up as long as she was on target for weight gain. Good luck!
    KaylynnsMommie2

Answer by KaylynnsMommie2 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i never woke my babys. they will let u knw when they r hungry :)
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I did the wake up thing, my son was a preemie, and I was scared not too! Fair warning, the every 2 hour wake up got hardwired into his brain!!!!! So, I was still up every two hours when he was 6 months old, not the least bit interested in eating, but expected to be held, rocked and sang to for at least 15-30 minutes!!!
    Ladies, let 'em sleep! When they get hungry they will wake up!!!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I let my babies sleep.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:41 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I woke my dd every 3 hours for the first 8 weeks. After that I would only wake her during the day and let her sleep at night. Now I basically just let her do her own thing, if she's hungry she wakes up. I don't let her oversleep it too much though, but that's just because for some reason she doesn't gain weight very well.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Nope! I let me son sleep. I . The first night in the hospital the nurse told me the same thing. The next day the lactation consultant told me to let that baby sleep. We were all happier letting him sleep.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• We didn't wake the twins, however, if one woke up, then we did wake the other to keep them on the same schedule
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i didn't every 2 hours but i would wake her up atleast 1 time a night, know she is 9 weeks i let her sleep
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 1:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• No way. My kids woke and fed every few hours on their own.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Our pedi told us to not let her go more than 4 hours without feeding. Being a preemie, she could become too weak to cry when she did fnally wake up.

We never had to wake her tho. She did it on her own.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2010