5yo needs to be potty trained..

ok, here's the situation.. I have a 5yo son- Max. When he was 15 month I had his twin sisters, Madison and Lizzie. The twins were born at 6 months with Twin to Twin Tranfusion Sydrom.
Now the girls are 3 years old and Lizzie is totally healthy and Madison can not walk by herself YET and suffers from seizures every once in a while.
Because the twins were born premies, I missed out on potty training Max as a toddler. When he was 3 Madison started speech therapy and when he was 4 she started her psysical treatment so she can learn to walk.

That took a lot of my time so I didn't exactly have time to properly potty train Max.

Now he's 5 and I still don't have the time but it really really needs to be done. Any ideas? I am usually there with him from 5pm till 8pm when he goes to bed and of course weekends.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, first of all you have my sympathy... I have a seizure disorder so I can relate a bit. My one daughter had a speech disorder that required therapy. My youngest when she was 5yrs old was mauled and for 6yrs was the spotlight due to surgury after surgury... Bu this is about you and actually All your children.... I'm guessing that your twins go to a Children's Hospital for care. As about child appriate books to help your older son understand the medical conditions of his younger siblings... Who ever is with your son in the AM and afternoon needs to be potty training him and you need to be in the evening. The potty training program Needs to be THE SAME as not to confuse your son.... He could however just be a bedwetter. Which usually stops between age 10-14. Ask your spouse when he was potty trained... I would also mention it to the Pediatrician - it could be a more serious problem or your son could be regressing.
    emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I don't think people should be ragging on you when they do not fully understand the situation. I hope all goes well with all your children.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thats so incredibly sad. Wow. Who is home with him in the day if you are only with him from 5-8? Whoever his care giver is they will need to start the potty training. Its not something you can do from just 5-8. Since he is now 5 he should understand the concept unless he is emotionally delayed. Im sorry this makes me so mad. You stated you still dont have the time. I understand you have other kids who have special needs but geesh. Do you have a family member who would take him so he can get the time and care he clearly needs?
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Who is watching him during the day? Enlist their help. If he's still wearing pullups or diapers, take them away and put him in underwear. I would think at 5, he should be potty trained very quickly once he starts wearing underwear.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Do you have a partner in the picture to help you out? I've heard of people rewarding older kids when they use the potty. A friend used to let her son play a video game for 10 minutes every time he went in the potty. Good Luck.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thank you,

He's in daycare until 2pm and a 19yo babysits from 2 to 5pm.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Oct. 4, 2010