Do you believe in the family decline perspective?

The perspective that families are not valued like they once were?

I do.

If so,in your opinion what do you think would be a good way to stop the decline?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have absolutely no idea how to stop it. People have lost their heart for each other it seems.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Very much so. No idea how to stop it though.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• While I agree, I do not have a solution. I can only work within my own home and try to instill what I believe into my son. I think a lot of core values are falling to the wayside. It seems to me that the popular attitude is "Me first, to hell with you!" Somewhere along the line, people seem to think that the wants of the individual supercede the good of the majority. People believe they have the "right" to do what ever they want, when they want and to hell with anyone else! If it turns out bad, its not my fault! Everyone else needs to look out for my well-being and safety.

Ok, ok, getting off my soap box now. Sorry for the rant! :)
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• In many respects, yes. It's the "what have you done for me lately mentality" and NOT the what can I do to better myself and my family. This is what happens when people feel entitled. Perhaps a result of a growing trend of the ideals of personal responsibility being less important than materialistic gain.... People are less involved in what they can do for others because they expect the government to do for others.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There are certain aspects that I agree with. I'm all for non-traditional, loving families alond with loving traditional ones, BUT I'm definitely concerned with the incredible jump in teen pregnancies! It's epidemic. The best way I see going about this is exponentially increasing emphasis on education and stopping abstinence only sex-education (which compares statistically with no sex-education at all) in exchange for other programs that actually show statistically significant results. Kids deserve to grow up, go to college, sow some wild oats, fall in love, get married and have kids.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Sadly, most people can not see beyond their own front door. IMO, this "Me" attitude is a direct result of the poor economy and lack of jobs. Many people are so busy treading water, in an effort to prevent drowning, they are numb, blind and deaf to the surrounding world; uncertainty, anger and the blame game abounds.

I wish more folks were self directed and forward thinking. If you can not afford to work because daycare is too expensive, perhaps you have too many kids. If you need PA to survive, you can not afford to be a SAHP. If you have healthy issues because of what you put into your body, make better consumption choices.

It's all about the economy and jobs. Without decent jobs and a forward directed economy, we are a sinking ship. Nothing positive comes from a sinking ship.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree there is a decline, and it is because of selfishness for the most part. It's all about me, and not about us. And it's also IMO because sex is treated as casual as a handshake. Get pregnant, no big deal, just go get an abortion. No harm, no foul. Sex is wonderful, it's supposed to be! But not with everybody out there! End of rant.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I agree with Sisteract a lot, but I think there is a lot more to it then just jobs and the economy. It comes down to morals inside your home.

Kids learn what they see and are taught, or lack their off. It's starts with inside the home. YOU have to teach YOUR kids how to act and treat people. This is something homes are lacking VERY much now.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Yes,families are not valued like they once were. Our government is no help either.

http://uspoverty.change.org/blog/view/us_poverty_rate_hits_143_44_million_are_poor

http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/poor_women_underserved_by_government_anti-poverty_programs

AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 12:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Undervalued by who?

I think that's a personal feeling.

I don't need anyone else, the government or television to tell me to value my family

Talk to the spolied selfish little brats that are being raised to not value ANYTHING....and look where they go tit from, THEIR PARENTS

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2010