Your Son got his girlfriend pregnant. They Both are in High School still. What options if any do you give your son?

emily1230

Asked by emily1230 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• The first thing I would is call the girlfriends parents and invite them and the daughter to my home to discuss the issue and next steps.
    I would want the children to have all their options from both sides (good and bad). I would want them educated. I would offer my support in raising a child while the children finished school, not paying for the child but babysitting or finding resources to help them.
    If they choose abortion that would be very hard for me to support as well as adoption, however I would do my best to make sure they have all the facts for both options.
    I would hope the girlfriend's parents would be like minded or open minded in order to limit any conflict that could arise.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• At that point, his options largely depend on what the mother decides to do. I would expect him to support her. I would want to sit down with my son, the girl and her parents and discuss what their joint options are and what kind of support both sets of parents are willing and able to give.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• He needs to get a job
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• First off are they over 18?
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I wouldnt have an option per say but I would tell him his life was about to change and its time to get a job after school because he was going to have to support the baby once it gets here. I would also advise him to get a dna test once the baby came. Only becasue I knew some girls in highschool who only had sex with their boyfriend only to find out that wasnt so when the babies came. I would just stress the importance of taking care of his responsibility if the young woman kept her baby.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If my son get his GF pregnant in high school, I think the only option I would give him as a parent would be to help and support his GF in raising the child or whatever decision she makes. He doesn't have to be with her with her (i.e. date and/or marry her), but he is the father and he needs to acknowledge that and help.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 11:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The only thing I could do is make sure he knows his legal rights as the potential child's father, and then support the decision he decides to make from there. It is as much his responsibility to care for the child as it is hers (should she decide to keep it), and is equally his right to raise the child should she decide not to, it is also not his decision whether or not she decides to terminate, in which case I support her right to do so.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2010