• In the Spotlight:

What do you miss from your childhood that your children Don't have? Example: Simple pleasure of bike riding down sidewalks...

emily1230

Asked by emily1230 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was just talking to my SO about this the other day, I remember when I was a kid I spend my day outside playing freeze tag, jump roping, riding my bike, lol all kinds of stuff, now days kids act like it's going to kill them to go outside, what happened to the good ole days lol
    patsymay84

Answer by patsymay84 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I wish my kids could get in the car to go 5 blocks or 30 minutes without a book, toy or distraction in the car. Just sit back and relax, enjoy the ride. Why can't they just sit in the car?????? It drives me crazy. My brother and I never had any of these things and traveled 10 hours to see my aunt and her family over the summers just the one way. We played all the "car" games or read books, slept in the car. Nowadays kids have to be entertained. I hate it!!!!!!
    momofkorean3

Answer by momofkorean3 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• The ice cream truck!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• A best friend next door the same age that all you had to do is climb up on the fence and yell "C'mon out & play"! Riding bikes for hours all around the neighborhood, walking to the 5&10 store & buying tiny trinkets for cents and thinking they were treasures & walking to school since I was in kindergarten with all the other kids in the neighborhood. I wish it was like that now for my Son.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I didnt have that great of a childhood. I would have rather been one of my kids. lol They are enjoying their childhood. We live in a small community where they can ride bikes and go and play. They go to camps in the summer, spend their days swimmng.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My kids and grandkids still ride bikes down the sidewalk. I dont think they missed or are missing anything. But...my parents didn't let me go too far away from home anyway. I was a kid in the 1940's and 1950's.
    My grandkids are in their early teens. Things are pretty much the same.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Walking or riding my bike to school, the ice cream truck, having lots of kids in the neighborhood to play with (we live in a neighborhood with mostly retired people and empty foreclosed houses) Being able to go to the park without a grown up, the park is a block away from us and they won't ever get to go there alone not after they found a dead body there two summers ago!
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I dunno.. we live in a great neighborhood were the kids do ride their bikes on the sidewalks and go outside and play with the neighbor kids.. We even stll have the ice cream trucks!

I know one thing that I loved was every Saturday morning down at the park this company would put on a puppet show for free. That was so much fun! We all loved it.. even when we got to old to admit we loved it ;)
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 12:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• having a best friend that lived next door. We just moved 4 states away from my DD"s best friend and we don't really know anyone.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My kids are basically living the same childhood I had.  They ride their bikes all over (or they did when they had them, we had to leave the bikes behind when we moved because we didn't have room for them).  They hang out with their friends after school, going from house to house all over our little sub division.  They walk to and from the bus stop (used to be their school before we moved).  They knock on people's doors when they want to play or their friends knock on our door to see if they can come out.

I just wish they'd use their imaginations a little more instead of being  "bored" if there aren't other kids to play with.  I used to be able to come up with my own adventures even if it was just me (they are 10, 9, 8 and 4).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010