Rich?

What is rich to you? Is there such a thing as too rich? Should we cap incomes and put anything made over the cap into a general fund?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No we should not cap incomes. People should be able to earn what people want to pay them for the job they do.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• If you work hard to earn that money, it should be yours to do with as you please.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Rich to me is being surrounded by people who make me happy, people I love and who love me, my family and friends and our love for one another and life, and most of all the love in the relationship I have with Jesus Christ. Now, since you are talking about money here, I would say I've never been wealthy (still young and working our way up), but I would have to say I would save up extras to buy a new home if I needed it, find a good charity to support, and maybe save up for a nice family vacation. And yes, a general fund is a good idea.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Funny, I am willing to bet most of those multi-millionaire liberals celebrities would be against this idea... This would only lead to greater offshore banking/tax shelter endeavors.. Fair tax or Flat Tax is a better option...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I feel "rich". I am pretty blessed, I don't have to use public assistance, I have enough to buy some frivolous things, and my children are spoiled. :) However, I would love a tax break.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Uh no, that's a dumb idea. People work for their money, it's theirs.. what right does anyone have to say how much someone is 'allowed' to make? Only liberals would be for that idea! Take money from people who work and support those who don't...hmmmmm

To me rich is being able to pay all your bills without a 2nd thought while having lots of nice things and basically doing and buying whatever they want. Can't really put a number on it because people live different lifestyles. What's rich to one person might not be to another and viceversa.

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Financially rich? Mega millions or billions- the group that meets the criteria for all the tax loopholes. I watched an interview with M Bloomberg recently, and he agreed that those making in the higher millions and billions/ year should have their taxes raised- and he is one of them. $200/single; $250/family is not rich-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• No incomes should not be capped, people work hard for that money and it belongs to them. Plus many of the wealthy got that way from starting businesses and now employ many people. If we start taking away their income, jobs will suffer too. If you suddenly won 50 million dollars in the lottery, do you want the govt taking it from you saying you have too much money? It's called socialsm and it goes against everything this country is about.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 12:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Many of the truly rich are "trust fund" recipients.....money was handed down.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Yes, incomes should be capped, it should be a high cap, but there should definitely be one. Money makes money. Lots of money makes lots more money. Look at the gap between the richest and poorest. Look how much of the total income the richest are making compared to the poorest. These days, how much money someone has is not directly related to how hard they work. Look at the single mothers that hold 3 separate jobs just to feed their children and still live paycheck to pay check. Meanwhile the CEO of a huge corporation inherited the position from his father and even if he decides to sell it, he can live comfortably off the interest alone and doesn't have to work a day in his life and neither will his children. I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound fair.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2010