Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child suport can i go back and get

i have twins girls that are both handi capped i went to get child suport back in 1997 but had some problems. can i go back and get child suport from 1997 till the girls 1997 turnd the girls of age there 24 now

Answer Question

Asked by mazzeo at 12:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Just check with your local District Attorneys office - Child Support Division.

    Answer by suesellshouses at 12:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • I agree with suesellshouses, but I would say that it will be hard to get at this point. You may have a better chance since they are handicapped, and depending on the rules in your state. Did you get any support from him at all?

    Answer by ohwrite at 12:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • Talk to an attorney in your area. Do a free consultation with one, and they should be able to tell you in the consult if you have a case or not!

    Answer by mommy11260 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • Depending on your state most child support stops at age 18. I would check with your local Child Support Office.

    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

  • I would think you can, if you can find him

    Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:27 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • It depends on the state your in. My children are also grown and I went through support kids but sadly my state will not allow any type of garnishment or any other enforcement


    Answer by tracylyn245 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2010

  • It's possible but it depends on your state and the child support laws. My mother tried to do it for me and the state wouldn't allow her (though part of that might be because my father was in prison for most of my life and never even MADE an income).

    Answer by WomanWitty at 12:17 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • you can try

    Answer by mekarevell at 8:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.