For those in CA, voting Yes for PROP 8, why does gay marriage bother you so much?

How are you "protecting marriage" by voting Yes? Just because a gay couple want to get married, how exactly does it affect a marriage between a man and a woman? Why does it matter so much what another couple does for their life?

sugarmama01

Asked by sugarmama01 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think for most people it's a religious issue. It really shouldn't be, and two gay people getting married wouldn't harm anyone in any way...but whatever, people are going to believe what they want to believe regardless.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:54 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Gay couples don't bother me, but when the courts decided on my behalf without me having a say that they could legally marry...that was wrong!....People should have a voice on these issues and a right to vote on these issues and these were denied the first time around in regards to this issue....This time I will make my vote count and that will be a YES vote!
    Anonymous

• To anon., why/how does it affect you? why can't gay people get married if supposedly "gay people don't bother you". What does it matter what another couple does with their life??
    sugarmama01

Answer by sugarmama01 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• In Florida is Prop 2 an dI voted NO.. No one is telling straight couples wether they can get married or not so why descriminate agaisnt gays..
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:16 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• And I want to add, this has absolutley nothing to do with what they are teaching in schools or what will be taught in schools.In fact, California law already prohibits teaching children, against the will of their parents, anything about health and family issues. See California Education Code section 51240.

When it allowed same-sex marriage, the California Supreme Court specifically said "no religion will be required to change its religious policies or practices with regard to same-sex couples, and no religious officiant will be required to solemnize a marriage in contravention of his or her religious beliefs."
    sugarmama01

Answer by sugarmama01 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree the ads have been very misleading, even telling outright lies. I've noticed they stopped running the extremely false ad that churches would lose their tax exempt status. Churches discriminate now and that won't change. As private organizations, they have the right to discriminate. Not all churches will marry any old straight couple - some require months of counseling, some require you to be members in good standing, etc.
    The government is NOT a private organization and does NOT have the right to discriminate. As far as I'm concerned, either the government needs to get out of the marriage business, take it off all the forms, take away any legal standing marriage may have, and make marriage a purely religious structure OR they need to stop discriminating about who can get married. There is no non-religious reason to block gay marriage. And our government is not allowed to practice religion.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• As for the courts deciding for me to allow this... that's what a Constitution is for. When a law violates the Constitution, the courts have the power and the mandate to strike down that law. If this bill passes, it starts us down the slippery slope of what other forms of discrimination are OK too. Should we block marriage between a citizen and a non-citizen? How about between people with different skin colors? Different religions? Discrimination is any form is wrong. If you don't approve of gay marriage, teach your kids it is wrong. Just like people do with other religious issues.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Kaycee14 - I totally agree!
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 4:21 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• For me, it's a religious matter. I advocate civil unions but not spiritual ones. We're raising our daughters to view marriage as a spiritual union between one man and one woman. I know many people disagree with this, but this is the choice we've made for our family and it's one with which we feel comfortable.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 5:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• sgalsmommy - I don't disagree with you at all. It IS a religous matter and you have every right to teach your child what you want her to believe.

I just feel that the government shouldn't be legislating religous matters.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 24, 2008