I posted a while back about the WBC coming to a local school - Today's News...

This was posted on the local news site this morning...

"Students who attend Trinity High School in Washington County were dismissed from class early on Monday, in advance of a planned protest.

Members of the controversial Westboro Baptist Church are set to protest at the school on Monday.

The church is an independent Baptist church and hate group known for its anti-homosexuality and its protest activities.

The high school dismissed at 10 a.m. Monday, followed by the middle school and elementary school in the Trinity Area School District.

The exact nature of the protest is not clear."

They are going to expand on the story after the protest, but I thought the school was handling this very well. Rather than allowing the protesters (who are supposed to be there at the normal dismissal time) from harassing the students, they simply let them go home... What do you think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that was a good idea for the school to let the kids out early.

Mamacsb

Answer by Mamacsb at 12:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• that was a very good thing for the school to do, i am impressed actually. Now hopefully it will have deflated these idiots protest somewhat. They came to CO awhile back and my cousin was one of the organizers for a big Peaceful Anti-protest promoting love and peace instead of the hate and bigotry these people promote, i was VERY proud of him for doing that :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Wise move on their part!
    Why on earth are they protesting at a school???? That blows my mind!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think sending the students home was a fantastic idea. No need to expose children to foul language and hatred.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Shane, they often protest highschools and colleges... Here is the "reason" they have listed on their site...

"The parents and teachers across this doomed nation raise their children (whom the Lord their God entrusted them with for the purpose of teaching them His commandments) for the devil himself. The so-called adults teach the students to be vain, selfish, sinful, violent, lusty, God-hating, brats who turn the grace of our God into lasciviousness. WBC has seen the face of the high school students all across this nation and knows the truth. These kids react with foaming mouths and violence to the true Word of God. They can all repeat the lie that "it's OK to be gay," but are incapable of uttering one single word of Gospel truth! Their parents and teachers have failed them and as a result live in fear of the violent beasts they've created....

cont.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• "...Isaiah 3:12 "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them, O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Deuteronomy 28:15 "But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee and overtake thee..."

So mainly they are trying to warp the minds while they are young...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• "The exact nature of the protest is not clear"? Well, we're talking about Westboro, so the school's there, they probably did something sinful like saying hello to a Jew, so they need to be picketed for that. It's WBC forcrying out loud, they don't have "reasons" to do their crap, they have excuses.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Oh, sorry! And to answer your actual question, lol, I think the school acted very well. The worse thing you can do with those nutcases is give them more attention than they deserve, so it was a great decision to send the kids home. They don't need to be insulted by those a-holes and exposed to their crap.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• KUDOS to the school for letting keeping the students from seeing all that nonsense. WBC are a bunch of bigots.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think the school did the right thing.. the best thing to do when these chuckleheads come to town is to ignore them... they get pissy and it's funny ... plus, the less coverage they get, the less their message is going to get out and the less money they get.. :)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 5:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2010