lactose intolerance?

I bought my 7 mo old son some of those 'yo baby' yogurts for infants 6 months and older. I gave him a few bites of one at breakfast this morning. He has been gassy, cranky, and just flat out uncomfortable ever since. I feel like a terrible person for giving it to him. My husband is lactose intolerant. Could this mean my son is also? Or is his little tummy just not ready for dairy yet?
No bashing.

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is lactose in cow's milk formula and human milk. It's supposed to be ok to give yogurt after 6 mo. It may not have been the yogurt if you only gave a small amount. Lactose intollerance is normal so don't feel bad about giving it to her since your husband is lactose intollerant. Being lactose tollerant as an adult is abnormal.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I believe that the pediatricians suggest that you way on the dairy products until one year or older. Our pediatrician told us to wait on the meat products and eggs until 9 to 12 months. Thus, I think that it is too early to determine whether or not your son is lactose intolerant from that. However, if he was a breastfed baby and got that cranky from drinking the breast milk that would be a possibility. I am not sure how one determines the lactose intolerance if the baby is a formula fed.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 12:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• There is lactose in most formulas. Babies should wait to have milk simply because their bodies are not able to digest it yet. Not sure you can tell a baby is lactose intolerant by having a reaction to yogurt. But I would hold off on giving it to him if he is having a reaction from it. GL!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 12:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Wait until he is one and he will have a better chance of digesting the milk with no side effects
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son only got breastmilk and baby food before one. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2010