What would you do?

There's a 14-year-old girl in my neighborhood who sometimes helps me out with my daughter. I'm not friends with her parents, we're just neighbors.

I have seen her hanging out of the neighborhood with a man in his 30s a couple of times. I saw her again on Friday with him waiting for the bus and I stopped and asked if she wanted a ride home. She said no.

She was at my house yesterday and she told me that guy is her friends brother and he's kind of her boyfriend.

She hasn't done anything with him, at least that's what she says, but I'm really worried about it. What is a 30-year-old doing hanging out with a teenager?

Do you think I should talk to her parents? I did talk to her but she said he's really sweet and she likes him a lot. I told her about all the dangers and she said she KNOWS he's not like that. Would you tell her parents?

I don't want her to think she can't talk to me but I;m very worried.

Thanks!

mygirlpaige

Asked by mygirlpaige at 12:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i would tell her parents, or call the cops... that is ILLEGAL, even if they're not "doing anything" a man in his 30s and a 14yo?! that's just sick. I would hate for her to lose trust in you but in the long run you're doing the right thing by telling her parents :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I would call her parents NOW.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• No doubt I would get her parents involved. She is a minor and does not understand the seriousness of what's going on. He is taking complete advantage of her and her innocence. Regardless of if there have not been any inappropriate actions on his part, please tell me what in the world a 30 year old man has in common with a 14 year old girl, other than the obvious?
    momtms3

Answer by momtms3 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Thank you ladies, that's what I am probably going to do. And maybe tell them I don't want her to lose her trust in me so maybe they can just not tell them how they found out. Thank you.
    mygirlpaige

Comment by mygirlpaige (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2010