Childproofing a toy chest with an attached lid (Help wanted!!)

Question: What could I buy to help prevent my daughter's fingers from being slammed by a toy chest lid? I have an old toy chest that I want to put in the playroom but am worried that she will get hurt if the lid slams down on her hands! I've been looking online for childproofing stuff but haven't come up with a thing yet! Helpful tips are welcomed!!! I've thought of felt pads but I think she'll rip that off! I've looked at cabinet locks but not sure how that would work??

MadisonsMom2009

Asked by MadisonsMom2009 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They have slow-closing hinges you can buy. Go to the hardware store and they will definitely be able to help you out!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• they have finger pinch protectors for doors, they are just a foam half circle and i have one on the bottom part of the toy chest so when it shuts it stays about an inch open and wont pinch fingers :)
    SweetMiss

Answer by SweetMiss at 1:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Can you remove the top?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• love sweetmiss's idea. where did you get them?
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 2:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i got them at babies r us... they are really cheap too :)
    SweetMiss

Answer by SweetMiss at 5:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• i was going to say slow closing hinges too. i have an old wooden chest that i keep blankets in and the hinges are old and close real soft so he has never pinched his fingers
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2010