When do kids usually get the concept of donating their toys?

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would say whenever they start talking and you can plant the idea in their heads.

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 1:25 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My daughter is 4 and has came to be about giving her toys to kids that are less fortunate. We watched a tv show one day about it and she told me she wanted to take the ones she didn't play with to some kids who would want them.

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Maybe when they are over the age of two. Of course, it depends on the child. Each child is different.

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 1:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• I think it all depends on the child, but i think it's early to explain it to them as young as possible. My son is only a year and I already explain it to him, lol. I explain to him how there are some babies who have no toys, and he's fortunate to have a lot, so we're going to give some of his toys to the kids who don't have any or many. Sure, he probably has ZERO idea what I'd saying, but if I always explain this to him, he'll catch it as soon as possible, lol. I think it's a great thing to instill in a child, to have compassion for those who are less fortunate.We'll be donating our time as he gets older as well.

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• we donate and frecycle toys and clthes, and from about age 2 mine get that theya re giving these items to people who need them, bacuse they are having a hard time!

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When the parents teach them about hose who have less than they do. It's pretty simple to tell a child about another who has no toys or clothes, and then ask that child to give them some things they no longer play with.

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My husband is 30 and still doesn't get the idea of donating his "toys" so well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:26 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• When the parents take the time and make the efforts to teach them.

Answer by justnancyb at 2:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• My son understands the concept and has for awhile. He is 4 years old.

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2010